2 bugs? (solar concentrator and living hulls)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
4xel
Space Floater

2 bugs? (solar concentrator and living hulls)

#1 Post by 4xel »

Version 0.4.7.1
  • Endosymbiotic hull don't regenerate
    As you can see in the sitRep from turn 234, I attacked the system "Rov" on turn 233 and as you can see, it damaged my ship Flint II, an Eaxaw Endosymbiotic ship (design on screen), for 26 damages. What you cannot see is that he had 42 out of 42.5 hit point before engaging, so math check out.
    "Living hull regenerates Structure and Fuel between combats." as explained on the pedia page for Endosymbiotic hull. So when on turn 234 I saw 26 HP, I thought ok, maybe they don't regen right after combat, instead they regen right before. By turn 235, Flint II should have healed some, regardless of whether it fights, but it has not, as shown in the SC, taken turn 235.
  • Solar collector don't work right after moving
    As you can see in the SC, Onager, also a "Stealth Firefly MK2", dealt the base damage 45 (3x15), despite having 83 (3x27.7 or so) attack. It is to be expected as "The finely woven Solarweb collapse when the ship enters a starlane whereas the effects disappears shortly after.".

Except this quote comes from the Solar Web technology Pedia page, not from Solar Concentrator's, which is unlocked by the previous tech organic war adaptation. So I would expect Solar Concentrator to still provide the base +3.75 or so per laser around a white star (Roz contains a white star), and my ship to deal 55 damages or so.

It might be working as intended but in that case, the Pedia quote, in addition to being made less cryptic, should appear on the Solar Concentrator's page instead.
Attachments
Capture d’écran de 2019-04-24 14-38-39.png
Capture d’écran de 2019-04-24 14-38-39.png (872.92 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
Last edited by 4xel on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: 2 bugs? (solar concentrator and living hulls)

#2 Post by Oberlus »

4xel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pmI attacked the system "Rov" on turn 233 and as you can see, it damaged my ship Flint II [...] By turn 235, Flint II should have healed some, but it has not, as shown in the SC, taken turn 235.
If your ship is at Rov in turn 235, and there was a combat there in turn 234, then it should not repair and there is no bug. And as long as there is combat in that system, even if it does not directly affect the ship (no shots received), the ship won't repair (there are some repair effects that overrides this, but not the default regeneration skill of living hulls). If you don't think this is the case, please attach a save game... Hmmm, better not, I notice you're using 0.4.7.1. I strongly recommend trying 0.4.8, which has more mechanics, AI improvements and some bug fixes.

Regarding the Solar Concentrator, you're right it need better wording. Its effects, as well as other fleet effects like Robotic Interface: Shields, take one whole turn to kick in. So you don't get the damage bonus from the star until you've been there for a whole turn (assuming you get there on turn 234, I'm not sure if that kicks in at the end of turn 235 or at the start of turn 36).

4xel
Space Floater

#3 Post by 4xel »

Ok, glad to see it'ss working as intended and just poorly documented.
(there are some repair effects that overrides this, but not the default regeneration skill of living hulls)
Yes a combat also occurred at turn 234 I somehow forgot to mention.

The Pedia of the living hulls ambiguously states that it "regenerates between combats", while the robotic hulls line is very specific about whether or not it repairs the turn after a combat. By the way, living hull line is also unspecific about the amount of repair. I guess the Pedia needs better wording. I must say I kind of liked the idea of Organinc hulls being able to repair even right after combat, it made them a bit more distinct from the robot line.

I did not pay attention about there being a more recent version (a test version I guess?), feedback for it will be more useful.

Edit : you are wrong, it was indeed a bug, fixed in later version. In 4.8 and 4.8+, living huls do regenerat between combat (ie just after a combat), as intended.
Last edited by 4xel on Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4xel
Space Floater

#4 Post by 4xel »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:41 pm Regarding the Solar Concentrator, you're right it need better wording. Its effects, as well as other fleet effects like Robotic Interface: Shields, take one whole turn to kick in.
Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've understood something :

If Solar Collector worked exactly as RS:I, ships with it would retain their bonus from last turn, even exiting a solar system. The "finely wooven" stuff is an attempt to explain that they don't, it's about what happens upon leaving a system, not entering it.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

4xel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm Ok, glad to see it'ss working as intended and just poorly documented.
[...]
I did not pay attention about there being a more recent version (a test version I guess?), feedback for it will be more useful.
Poor documentation is something that we will have for a long time, since FreeOrion is still under development. But anyone willing to spend time on improving the Pedia is very welcome.

There is a stable release 0.4.8 (or 0.4.8.x, can't remember), and you can also try the weekly test releases (that usually are as stable as the other release).
Check the sticker threads on this subforum (you even have an ubuntu ppa and a snap release): viewforum.php?f=2
If Solar Collector worked exactly as RS:I, ships with it would retain their bonus from last turn, even exiting a solar system. The "finely wooven" stuff is an attempt to explain that they don't, it's about what happens upon leaving a system, not entering it.
I guess. The thing is I have never used Solar Collector (I did use RI:S) so I trust you on this :)