No combat on system with visible adversaries

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: No combat on system with visible adversaries

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

Vezzra wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:03 pm
em3 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pmEach phase has a Before and After events, that can be used to apply effects.
The order here is arbitrary, but should be shown in sitreps.
That's more or less what I've suggested in one of the past discussions about this issue, and IMO the best/only way to fix the problem correctly.
How about full ordering using priority, show the sitreps in the order the effects happen and give sitreps to mark the beginning of a phase?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 pmHow about full ordering using priority
Priority is used to determine the order in which effects get executed. Unless we assign the different turn phases (like combat resolution, production and growth etc.) fixed priority levels where they get executed, we need an extra parameter determining the phase in which an effect gets executed.

Personally I'd prefer the latter. Priority to determine the order of execution of effects within a certain phase, and phase to determine when during turn execution an effect should happen.
show the sitreps in the order the effects happen
I don't think that would be very user friendly. As a player I much prefer having sitreps sorted/grouped together by type.
give sitreps to mark the beginning of a phase?
What would the benefit of that for players? I can see where that might help with debugging, but as a player I don't care about technicalities like which effects get executed within which phase of turn execution...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:50 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 pmshow the sitreps in the order the effects happen
I don't think that would be very user friendly. As a player I much prefer having sitreps sorted/grouped together by type.
I had the sense that this (sitreps appearing already grouped by the implicit phases; and within each phase ordered by the time they happen) is already what we have, although maybe the phases are not ordered in the same way they are executed.
For example, researched techs always appear all together and before (say) combat information, and within combat phase, I see damaged and destroyed ship sitreps appearing mixed (obviously, a ship that gets destroyed after several shots does not appear in several damaged-ship sitreps and in one destroyed-ship sitrep but only in the latter).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 pmI had the sense that this (sitreps appearing already grouped by the implicit phases; and within each phase ordered by the time they happen) is already what we have, although maybe the phases are not ordered in the same way they are executed.
Sitreps are currently grouped together by type, but I don't know how ordering of sitreps within one type is determined. The order of the types is determined by a config file (don't ask me which one though).