Feedback on AI (latest test build)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Feedback on AI (latest test build)

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I'm used to find what seems to be a deadlock situation for the AI:
AI1 plans to invade system of AI2. Both AIs start piling up ships one in front of the other. They may move some fleets back and forth, but both stacks tend to increase over time. Attacker stack is always several times stronger in damage and hull points than defending stack, but the actual never happens. Eventually, they are doing nothing else (no new colonisations, no invasions elsewhere). This situation keeps going on until another player destabilises the situation by invading systems of one of the AIs or attacking one of the stacks.
I would suggest the attacking AI in this situations to go forth and attack. Standing still until other empires that are not in the same kind of deadlock grow enough to be an unstoppable menace late game is not better than some high casualties and a new system early game.

Also, I keep finding fleets of troopers that the AI leaves immobile after an invasion mission fails (as in this thread).
Most times this is what happens: AI sends an armed fleet and a trooper fleet to system X (colonised by another player). Defending player moves an armed fleet to system X. AI armed fleet changes its mind and goes elsewhere, or dies in the battle at X. The trooper fleet does not get repurposed and stays put in a system close to X until it is destroyed.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Feedback on AI (latest test build)

#2 Post by Dilvish »

There were some trooper changes that went in about a week ago that should at least partly help the trooper situation, but probably won't entirely clear it up.

And just yesterday I put in a PR that, among other things, should somewhat help reduce the doomstack buildup, but again it won't entirely solve the problem.

We will keep working away at these things.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Feedback on AI (latest test build)

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Dilvish wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 amWe will keep working away at these things.
You (and Morlic) are doing a great job. Kudos!