Time and cost of items in Pedia

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Time and cost of items in Pedia

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Time and Cost

Time and cost to produce this item do not vary by location.
You can read this on many buildings in the Pedia. It's good to know when some building will have a variable cost or time production (although it would be much better to see some kind of base cost, or minimum-maximum or something like that).
However, would it be easy to make the Pedia inform you, while in a game, of the specific time and cost for buildings where such data is constant? Note the "while in a game", I acknowledge the exacts values depends on the parameters (rules, constants) that can vary from game to game.

And the same goes for ship parts (the base cost could be enough, but the upkeep modifiers could also be considered since part costs are not dependent on location). In this case, there is no time and cost information on the Pedia entries of each ship part.

I know the workaround: check values in the Producible Items list (enable unavailable and browse for what you're interested in). But that is quite slower than seeing it in the Pedia, for example when you are deciding your next tech to research depending on the buildings/parts they unlock (e.g. I get Physical Brain first or focus all RPs on geting Nascent AI and build one coloniser before starting with Automated History Analyser? I want to go the way I will get higher RPs sooner, so it depends on when I will be able to finish AHA on each scenario).

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Time and cost of items in Pedia

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm However, would it be easy to make the Pedia inform you, while in a game, of the specific time and cost for buildings where such data is constant? Note the "while in a game", I acknowledge the exacts values depends on the parameters (rules, constants) that can vary from game to game.
Just look a few lines up.
fixed_time_and_cost.png
fixed_time_and_cost.png (41.79 KiB) Viewed 4967 times

It's good to know when some building will have a variable cost or time production (although it would be much better to see some kind of base cost, or minimum-maximum or something like that).
Turn on Options->UI->Auto_generated_effect_descriptions and the pedia pages will give you the scripted formula for cost and time. Plus, the above noted cost/times will reflect, iirc, current cost & time (perhaps from your capital, or the currently selected system, I forget)

I suppose someone might want a UI option specific to just this time/cost info, without getting all the other autogenerated effect info; if you think that's significant then open up a feature request Issue.

Is there some other aspect of this I am overlooking?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Time and cost of items in Pedia

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Doh! :oops: :lol:

Thank you, Dilvish, I think current options are good.