problem with robotic shield

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
phocas
Space Floater

problem with robotic shield

#1 Post by phocas »

hello

will playing the last test version for ubuntu 2018-09-16.b08e3b0 to ppa:o01eg/freeorion.

i saw strange things with he robotic shields. fresh from the shipyard there is NO shield and there are not available for combat
(i was attacking a monster "maintenance" with only 3 damages = > aoutch)
but after a shipyard repair from the previous fight the shield was "activated"

??? it a king of magic ???

here is after the fight with 0 shield (robotic hull with robotic species and robotic internal shield)

and the "normal shield" after repair (during the previous turns i researched the laser level 4 36->44

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: problem with robotic shield

#2 Post by Oberlus »

From my player's experience, it looks like the shield calculations are done before the new ships produced that turn are actually considered, so that ships created in turn X will have shield 0 and not count for the Rob. Int.:Shield (RIS) calculations of that turn.
However, I'd swear I usually need two turns for the effect to kick in (so RIS ships produced on turn N will not increase the shield meter of older RIS ships until turn N+2).

Also, just in case, remember that ion storms apply a -15 shield effect on fleets within it.

phocas
Space Floater

#3 Post by phocas »

thanks for the hints

there was no ion storm

i made more tests
if you don't move after building the shield stayed 0 until turn +7 !!!

if you move 1 jump you have to wait only turn +4
if you move 2 jump you have to wait only turn +3
if you move 3 jump you have to wait only turn +3

it is not random (i tried with 2 building X2 ships)

it is not really straight to think so... :roll:

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

phocas wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:37 pmif you don't move after building the shield stayed 0 until turn +7 !!!
As I understand your original description, it sounds like there was combat in the system, probably that whole time, and that would prevent the shields from increasing. Please go ahead and create an issue on our Github repo where you post a zipped
savegame file for this so we can check it our more. If you would, please also note in that issue that if we confirm that it was the combat that prevented the shields from immediately/promptly reaching their nominal value, that one possible resolution may simply to make a descriptive macro that could be used for all ship hulls/parts whose stats have an effect-driven augmentation like this, to clarify the potential for delay in receiving that augmentation if the ship is created in a system under combat.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

phocas
Space Floater

#5 Post by phocas »

for post #3 there was no combat involved, ships where quiet for all the test turns

for post #1 there was no combat around the shipyard. the fleet made an immediat move (2 turn) to attack a monster gardian. and only then there was combat
(it's relevant with the 3# as there was not 3 turn after building)

i will test again with the last version to make the github report

phocas
Space Floater

#6 Post by phocas »

it's working better with version v0.4.8+ ppa [build 2018-09-23.0ef9926] CMake (from a previous save with the old version)
the shield update is quicker

turn 110 2 robotic ships fleet out of build queue shield 0
turn 111 fleet in the same system without fight shield 0
tun 112 still around shipyard but shield updated to 1