Galaxy age affects planet types?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Magnate
Space Dragon

Galaxy age affects planet types?

#1 Post by Magnate »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but do the galaxy age settings affect anything other than star types? Do you get, for example, more gas giants in young galaxies and more asteroid belts in ancient ones?

I am contemplating my first game as the Sly ...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Galaxy age affects planet types?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

IIRC, it affects the star types:
youger galaxy<- blue, white, yellow, orange, red, neutron, black ->older galaxy.
And the number of nebulas:
younger galaxy<- more nebulas in empty systems, more non-empty systems ->older galaxy
Note that you'll get roughly the same number of non-empty systems in late game, once all nebulas have become planetary systems.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

And since star types can affect planet size, galaxy age can indirectly affect frequency of asteroids and gas giants

The interactions are all specified here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#4 Post by Jaumito »

Dilvish wrote:The interactions are all specified here.
Thanks for the link, but there's something I don't understand here -

Code: Select all

# Note: A positive value for none, will mean a chance of empty systems
# of that type in game.  All star types with a zero or less chance for
# none will be forced to have at least one satellite.
STAR_TYPE_MOD_TO_PLANET_SIZE_DIST = {
#                           none  tiny  small  medium  large  huge  asteroids  gas giant
    fo.starType.blue:      (  0,    0,     0,      0,    -5,  -10,         0,         0),
    fo.starType.white:     (  0,    0,     0,      0,    -5,  -10,         0,         0),
    fo.starType.yellow:    (  0,    0,     0,      0,    -5,  -10,         0,         0),
    fo.starType.orange:    (  0,    0,     0,      0,    -5,  -10,         0,         0),
    fo.starType.red:       (  0,    0,     0,      0,    -5,  -10,         0,         0),
    fo.starType.neutron:   (  5,    0,     0,      0,    -5,  -10,        20,         0),
    fo.starType.blackHole: ( 30,    0,     0,     -5,   -10,  -15,        10,        -5),
    fo.starType.noStar:    ( 80,    0,     0,      0,   -10,  -15,         0,        10),
}
Yet, I still find stars in the [blue..red] range with zero satellites. Why?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Jaumito wrote:Yet, I still find stars in the [blue..red] range with zero satellites. Why?
That comment is a bit incomplete. Note that the name of that structure begins with STAR_TYPE_ MOD ... It is a mod that gets combined with contributions from the other applicable tables, which for planet existence you can see here and for planet size see here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0