FreeOrion 0.4.7 Problem Start New Single Player Game

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
FOFOFOFO
Space Krill

FreeOrion 0.4.7 Problem Start New Single Player Game

#1 Post by FOFOFOFO »

New player. Game seems to stuck after clicking on the Okay button at the Galaxy Setup. Previously there were 2 small windows showing 2 messages, the last one maybe creating the galaxy. I accidentally closed these 2 windows. Now I just get a blank screen after clicking on the Okay button at the Galaxy Setup. I can hear the music even when the screen is blank. Right click or left click on the blank screen give no audio or visual response. I selected "Verbose logging for Debugging" under UI and Other Options but I am not sure where the logging will show up. Current Galaxy Setup setting is Single player game with galaxy setting of 10 systems and 1 AI Player.

Version is v0.4.7 build 2017-04-24.60d06dc msvc 2015

FAQ says FreeOrion requires OpenGL 2.1. OpenGL Extensions Viewer 5.0.1 says I have OpenGL 4.4 and I am using video card GeForce GTX 650 Ti. I don't know if this means I met the requirement or not. I am on Windows 10 Pro. Running FreeOrion is default windows mode.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: FreeOrion 0.4.7 Problem Start New Single Player Game

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Sounds to me like you might possible have an orphan server process running (left over from one of those previous window closures you mentioned), which can interfere with a new server starting up. I think there have been some recent changes that made FO more resistant to that, but perhaps it can still happen. Just in case you stumbled onto a new way to cause that bug, it would be helpful if you post the current contents (before trying anything more to fix this) of freeorion.log and freeoriond.log (which you should be able to find in the config folder).

Then, please open up the task manager, and check all processes (not just applications) and if you see any for FreeOrion (which would include freeorion, freeoriond, or freeorionca) then please kill those processes. Let us know if that solves the problem.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

FOFOFOFO
Space Krill

#3 Post by FOFOFOFO »

Dilvish wrote: Then, please open up the task manager, and check all processes (not just applications) and if you see any for FreeOrion (which would include freeorion, freeoriond, or freeorionca) then please kill those processes. Let us know if that solves the problem.
You are right. There are 5 or 6 copies of freeoriond running. It works now that I close up everything.

I renamed config.xml to config.old and now the 2 windows that shows messages and empires appeared as well.

Thanks, I think it's all working now.

I remember reading somewhere that freeorion in single player mode does not use internet. Is this still true? I noticed that it try to access internet a few times at startup and complaints if I don't connect to internet.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

FOFOFOFO wrote:I remember reading somewhere that freeorion in single player mode does not use internet. Is this still true? I noticed that it try to access internet a few times at startup and complaints if I don't connect to internet.
Single player does not use the internet and does not need to be connected to the internet or even a LAN, however, the human client and AI clients communicate with the Server via local TCPIP (all just on the one computer).

Are you on a laptop and wanting to shut down the NIC to save power or something? (I don't recall for sure if that would be a problem but it seems like it could.) If you are just wanting to be sure that FO is not secretly calling home to the alien overlords you can simply pull the ethernet cable and disconnect from any wireless networks. The general situation sounds familiar, I'm sure there are some other threads on the topic which you could hopefully find without too much trouble using our forum search feature (towards upper right of this page, above the date, next to "members" and "user control panel").
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

FOFOFOFO
Space Krill

#5 Post by FOFOFOFO »

Dilvish wrote:
FOFOFOFO wrote:I remember reading somewhere that freeorion in single player mode does not use internet. Is this still true? I noticed that it try to access internet a few times at startup and complaints if I don't connect to internet.
Single player does not use the internet and does not need to be connected to the internet or even a LAN, however, the human client and AI clients communicate with the Server via local TCPIP (all just on the one computer).

Are you on a laptop and wanting to shut down the NIC to save power or something? (I don't recall for sure if that would be a problem but it seems like it could.) If you are just wanting to be sure that FO is not secretly calling home to the alien overlords you can simply pull the ethernet cable and disconnect from any wireless networks. The general situation sounds familiar, I'm sure there are some other threads on the topic which you could hopefully find without too much trouble using our forum search feature (towards upper right of this page, above the date, next to "members" and "user control panel").
I have Comodo firewall on my computer, so it stops FreeOrion from running. Network access wasn't in the system requirement so I didn't give access to FreeOrion initially, that is why FreeOrion keeps on getting stuck at startup. Anyway, it works now that give network access to all 3 exe's.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#6 Post by adrian_broher »

FOFOFOFO wrote:I have Comodo firewall on my computer, so it stops FreeOrion from running. Network access wasn't in the system requirement so I didn't give access to FreeOrion initially, that is why FreeOrion keeps on getting stuck at startup. Anyway, it works now that give network access to all 3 exe's.
I was under the impression we fixed that already with 0.4.6 and later versions that freeoriond needs not do be whitelisted. Is this comodo firewall thing just crappy software or is there anything we missed in the fix? https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/874
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz