Just a general query

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ghealy
Space Kraken

Just a general query

#1 Post by ghealy »

I play a single player against one AI type game. I avoid the very heavy/difficult options when setting up a game, thus I avoid monsters, multiple opponents, etc. I have moved up to 'Typical' for the AI's aggression level.

Am curious if anything has been tweaked to ramp up the aggression levels in the past two updates (2/20 & 2/28) I have noticed that the AI is playing much more aggressively than in the pre-20 Feb releases.

Is it just me, the luck of the draw, or have things been tweaked to make the AI more aggressive?

- Gene

SkyCore
Space Floater

Re: Just a general query

#2 Post by SkyCore »

Iv also noticed that when playing agianst multiple opponents, they will always seem to launch an attack when only one remains. And occasionally after you destroy another empire.
In earlier versions iv never seen this behavior.
So i dont think you are imagining it.

Morlic
AI Contributor

#3 Post by Morlic »

Yes, there were some fixes and tweaks for the AI during the last 3 weeks.

Great to hear that there is a noticeable improvement.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ghealy
Space Kraken

#4 Post by ghealy »

Thanks for the confirmation. (Though I'm not sure I'd have classified it as an improvement. Certainly increases the frustration levels though :D :D :D )

- Gene

Morlic
AI Contributor

#5 Post by Morlic »

The "improvement" is regarding the general performance of the AI (which was significantly hampered by a number of issues which got fixed). As improving the AI behaviour is generally harder than making it worse, that's a good thing.

If it turns out that the AI is now too aggressive at lower aggression settings, then we can / should adress that of course. Feedback in that regard from players like you is always highly welcome as with more experience in the game it becomes harder to judge correctly how steep the learning curve between aggression settings is and should be.
So, by all means, report back if the AI seems too strong/aggressive at lower settings.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ghealy
Space Kraken

#6 Post by ghealy »

I don't have a problem with the 'new & improved' AI aggression at the 'Typical' level. It did force me to improve my play strategy. But it has not become too much of a challenge.

I was just curious why the AI all of a sudden made me 'break a sweat' to achieve a win. :D

Thanks for the feedback

- Gene