Fleet selection/use lag

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Fleet selection/use lag

#1 Post by MatGB »

This is new, I wondered if it was a Fighter specific issue so compile purely from master and am getting the same problem.

When I do anything involving a fleet, selecting it, giving a move order, invade order, etc, the game now lags, and this increases as the game progresses. Sound effect wise simply selecting a fleet containing, eg, 3 ships gives me three overlapping selection effects rather than the one I would expect.

The lag is most noticeable and worst when issuing an invade order, even if I have no fleet window open it can take noticeable time to process the order, I perceive this delay to be worse than it used to be if you had the fleet selected and ordered a large invasion, a delay/lag that was reduced enough to be not-noticeable some time ago.

I'm unsure when this started, fairly sure it wasn't in 0.4.6.

It's not a massive problem at the moment, but it's a shame to have massively reduced lag at the end of the last cycle to now have a different form of lag creeping in, I'm hoping it's easily identifiable and fixed.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Fleet selection/use lag

#2 Post by MatGB »

Update, and I'm assuming this is linked to LGM-Doyle's current chain of backend rendering changes, this only happens when I have the planet sidepanel open with one of my production centres selected, it doesn't happen when no systems are selected or when neutral systems are selected.

If it's an enemy production centre there appears to be a delay but it's nowhere near as bad.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

Re: Fleet selection/use lag

#3 Post by LGM-Doyle »

MatGB thanks for the specific report.

I am unable to duplicate the problem, with either the Fighter branch rebased to master or master itself. I don't doubt your observations, I just can't duplicate them.

I'm going to hold off on trying to replicate/fix this until after the changes to list windows including both fleet window and the planet tab (hopefully land). Geoff and I are making progress towards landing that PR and it will make orders of magnitude speedup for the FleetWnd with large numbers of fleets. This might hide the problem by being too fast to notice, which I hope will be good enough.

Otherwise, we can put in some SectionedScopedTimers so that the delay is reported to the log and then I can try to improve it even though the delay is too small for me to notice.