A request

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ghealy
Space Kraken

A request

#1 Post by ghealy »

Oh Great and Mighty Gamer programmers. You are wonderful, mighty, smart and generous.

Okay. is that enough sucking up? :D

A while back, when I was complaining about how I had to reposition the windows within the game each time I installed a new beta. some nice person told me about the persistent_config file. Even helped me create it when I didn't have a proper xml editor.

A bit later I asked if it was possible to do the same for the Research queue, but was told, no it wasn't.

Creating the queue is the single most time consuming thing I do in trying to get the game up and running. It would be a real time saver if I had the ability to create a listing of items to research and have it import into the game at the beginning. I'm certain I am not the only player out here that wouldn't consider this a real plus

If this is not the best pace to make this request, let me know and I'll post it in the appropriate forum.

Thanks in advance for considering this request

UrshMost
Space Kraken

Re: A request

#2 Post by UrshMost »

I agree it would be a good feature and after some discussion an issue was created for it a few months ago.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

ghealy
Space Kraken

#3 Post by ghealy »

@UrshMost: Thanks for the links. I read the discussions and looked at the issue. Nothing seems to have been done since late August, so I guess there is no prioity set on this request. <shrug>

One thing I did take exception to in the discussion was talk about limiting the number of items. Also it sounded more like a prescribed list of a few items. I set up my complete queue at the start of the game. I may advance certain items as the game progresses; and add an item or two as the situation calls for it. I have modified this list over time as I have learned through playing that it is beneficial to queue certain items sooner than others. But it is my complete research list, not just a 'few things to get the game going'.

I hope whenever something is done on the request, it will resembled what I've described, a user built list, not some preformulated mini-list deemed appropriate by someone else.

Just my 2 1.2 cents. :D

- G

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Opinion: If a player can play multiple games with almost the exact same list all the way through, the balance of the game and tech tree is off and it needs adjusting.

I don't want the game to be at the point where you always go for the exact same techs in the same order all the way through the game, you're supposed to be making choices and setting priorities based on circumstances, if you don't feel that choices are needed, the tech tree isn't right and needs changing.

That's one of the reasons why it's unlikely to support an entire game list of that type, it's not what a game like this should have or be like, if there's no point in making a choice, why have the screen there?

(also, the tech tree gets changed/added/improved/tweaked regularly, the Automated History Analyser is a good example of a very early game change that you might otherwise overlook)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#5 Post by ghealy »

@MATGB: Appreciate your comments/opinion. Would just like to point out I am not asking for a rigid, un-modifiable list. I modify the queue as circumstances arise during play. I have changed what I put in that queue many times since I first started playing FO back on version 04.4. But I still basically play the same game - seek and conquer. So I use a list of tech that gets me up and gunning for the opposition while protecting what I have.

If all I can get is a modifiable list o 12-15 items at the start of each game, I'll take that. As it stands now, with the less than optium game response time, the biggest single time investment is creating a tech queue.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#6 Post by LGM-Doyle »

@MatGB, I agree with you that when balanced the research order should need to respond to the game situation, other empires, galaxy geography (galography, galaxography?), monsters etc.

I'd like to add that if we implement difficulty separate from AI aggression then at the lowest difficulty setting any research order should be acceptable, so that players can try out tech without opposition.