Pedia needs improvement

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
truepurple
Space Kraken

Pedia needs improvement

#1 Post by truepurple »

Pedia on Stockpile transfer wrote:
PP allocated to the transfer project are added to the imperial stockpile. The amount to transfer and how many times the transfer should repeat can be specified.

Only PP that are produced in the same supply-group (and none from the imperial stockpile) are allocated to the stockpile transfer project.

Surplus PP (PP not allocated to anything on the queue) at this or any other location will be transferred to the stockpile with or without a stockpile transfer project on the queue. PP allocated to a stockpile transfer are sent to the stockpile, even if there are additional items later in the production queue.

For example: An empire wants to draw PP from the stockpile in a secondary supply-group, in which there is insufficient PP being generated. To do this, the stockpile needs to be filled from the primary supply-group. The empire has 100 PP industry in the primary supply-group, its stockpile use limit is 10 PP and it wants to have 10 PP always available in the stockpile. The build queue contains items on planets in the primary supply-group which need 120 PP per turn, so all available PP would be used.
To be able to use the PP in the secondary supply-group, the empire adds to the top of the queue a 10x Stockpile Transfer project on a planet in the primary supply-group.
Because the Stockpile Transfer project is above other primary supply-group projects in the build queue, it is fully funded and will increase the stockpile by 10 PP on the next turn. To ensure a continuing transfer each turn, the repetition of the project is set to 99 times.
I was told there should be no "PP" in pedia. Every use of a game specific term should have a link to that terms meaning. This entry has lots of game specific terms and 0 definitions.

This pedia entry, I had to force myself to read word by word because trying to read it kept giving me a great headache, I am still not sure if I understand what stockpile does.

Other pedia entries suffer from being more colorful than informative. Like entries on specialized shipyards that say they will violently explode with the slightest damage, but no information on what that actually means.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Pedia needs improvement

#2 Post by LienRag »

It does.
And that's a part you can do without coding skills.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#3 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 am It does.
And that's a part you can do without coding skills.
True, but I can't do it without knowing how things work in the first place. Like how am I suppose to improve on a description about violently exploding shipyards if I don't know what that means? Similar with Stockpiles entry. And here is where coding comes in, if I could dig into the games code, and decipher it to know how it actually works, I could rewrite this stuff. Of course those who made this stuff originally could also just tell us how stuff like violently exploding ship yards work.

There might be a narrow band of pedia entries I could rewrite without needing to know additional things, if I were, where would I submit? I'd also need to make sure that what I am writing doesn't become obsolete in v5 and that it will be accepted, don't want to spend my time doing something only for it to be rejected.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:55 amhow stuff like violently exploding ship yards work.
such stuff does not exist in the game
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#5 Post by truepurple »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:05 am
truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:55 amhow stuff like violently exploding ship yards work.
Pedia entry describing such stuff does exist. Reading the pedia entries often leaves one puzzled where the colorful description ends and the description of game effect starts. (obviously the stockpile entry has a very different problem)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:05 am
Pedia entry describing such stuff does exist..
You should be able to come up with a better entry in the pedia in this case, so go ahead
truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 am obviously the stockpile entry has a very different problem
if you could come up with a better description that would be greatly appreciated and a big help to all new players. yes, and you need to learn to use it in order to do that.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:55 am
True, but I can't do it without knowing how things work in the first place. Like how am I suppose to improve on a description about violently exploding shipyards if I don't know what that means? Similar with Stockpiles entry.
You are right.
But all the parts with "PP" doesn't have this limitation to your ability to help, and a lot of the Pedia faces similar problems that you can quite easily correct.
Also you got some answers in your original thread, you can summarize the ones you understood if the Pedia wasn't clear enough to prevent you having to ask these questions.