Korean Translation

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
floyd
Space Krill

Korean Translation

#1 Post by floyd »

Only 10% of stringtables are translated.

Any help, suggestion will be appreciated.
Attachments
ko.zip
(112.23 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by floyd on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Korean Translation

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Welcome floyd,

nice to see another translation, especially if it is done in a language with more complex glyphs.

To allow us to use this translation you need to release you contribution under the terms of the CreativeCommons BY-CA 3.0 [1]. We usually handle this by asking the contributor to either place a statement into his signature like "If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under CC-BY-SA 3.0" or by placing a similar statement into the post containing the contribution.
floyd wrote:Any help, suggestion will be appreciated.
I don't speak Korean, but I wanted to point out that the ISO-639-1 language code for Korean is ko, not kr so this needs to be renamed. See also [2] for further details.

I also have some questions:

* How is the text rendering so far? Are the glyphs readable? Did you had issues with missing glyphs?
* Is the default font we provide sufficient to display all glyphs? From my (wikipedia) knowledge Korean has a character based alphabet, but composes those characters by syllable when used with computers?
* Did you have troubles with text input so far?
* According to wikipedia Korean is written top to bottom, right to left. For layout reasons we probably won't support top to bottom writing but how is the proper localization for Korean in this case? Just display the text right to left?
* What about text wrapping? As far as I can see your translation only contains translations for short strings. What would be the strategy for breaking text in longer translations? As far as I can see there is no white space in the translated strings (or I can't identify them).

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
[2] http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Languages
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

floyd
Space Krill

Re: Korean Translation

#3 Post by floyd »

Hello, adrian_broher,

Becaus english is not my native language, please forgive my poor english.

As you pointed out, I renamed korean stringtable to 'ko.txt' and my signature has needed statement.

Here goes answers to your question :

* How is the text rendering so far? Are the glyphs readable? Did you had issues with missing glyphs?
-> text rendering is done well. All the glyphs are readable. theres no problems with missing glyphs.

* Is the default font we provide sufficient to display all glyphs? From my (wikipedia) knowledge Korean has a character based alphabet, but composes those characters by syllable when used with computers?
-> Nope. DejavuSans deosn't have korean glyphs. But All the 'ttf' fonts that have korean unicode range works perfectly.
And Yes, that is correct. Korean has 24 alphabet. In unicode, combined alphabet has each unicode point. So huge
amount of unicode range has allocated for Korean(Hangul). You shoud check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul, becuase I can't explain it in english better than wikipedia :)

* Did you have troubles with text input so far?
-> Yes, I cannot input Korean. But english input works well.

* According to wikipedia Korean is written top to bottom, right to left. For layout reasons we probably won't support top to bottom writing but how is the proper localization for Korean in this case? Just display the text right to left?
-> Korean is written top to bottom, left to right(not right to left like arabics). So there's no Text Layout problem with Korean.
In my experience, only Thai(complex word/line break rules), Arabic, Hebrew(right to left layout) languages has TextLayout problems.
For Thai, Arabic, Hebrew, you should consider using harfbuzz or ICU for complex text layout, but not for korean.

* What about text wrapping? As far as I can see your translation only contains translations for short strings. What would be the strategy for breaking text in longer translations? As far as I can see there is no white space in the translated strings (or I can't identify them).
-> I started with relatively short strings and UI texts. I did not found any problems with text wrapping yet.
And I guess that you cannot see correct Korean text, because almost all of the western version of operating systems doesn't have Korean-enabled fonts. (especially for Windows)

here goes the example :

SD_AST_SCOUT
소행성 정찰선
SD_AST_SCOUT_DESC
정찰과 탐험을 위해 설계된 속이 빈 소행성으로 만들어진 작고 저렵한 비무장 함선. [[encyclopedia DETECTION_RANGE_TITLE]]를 개선하기 위해 추가적인 연구를 하면 더 좋은 설계를 얻을 수 있습니다. 소행성 함선은 소행성 처리기가 설치된 행성계에서만 건조할 수 있습니다.

Above text should looks alike :
korean_translated.png
korean_translated.png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under CC-BY-SA 3.0