English stringtable

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: English stringtable

#76 Post by MatGB »

Not sure someone's working on it directly, but it's one of those things someone'll do eventually.

Yes, was actually working on this last week (I have Issue #329 open in a different tab) but what I tried didn't work and I ran out of time so switched to testing something instead. There's no need for the Starlane Speed inclusion as, since I wrote those bits of text the pedia display was updated to show that instead of what was there. The same needs to be done with Stealth but when I tried doing that myself it didn't work so I assume a backend change is needed.

I was planning on moving the text to the end of the entry and having it appear directly above and in the same style as the pregenerated list until such time as we can have them all pregenerated.

Actually, just reread your suggestion, there's no need to complicate things, having the actual stat is and should be fine, the text was a shortcut back when I was very new to things (it was part of my first big patch), so no need for star ratings or similar.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#77 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ouaz wrote:...with rating icons...¤...¤¤¤...¤¤¤¤¤
I would avoid a star-based rating such as that because it's not clear whether ¤ and ¤¤¤ are bad and average, bad and great, average and great, or what...

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#78 Post by Ouaz »

MatGB wrote:Yes, was actually working on this last week (I have Issue #329 open in a different tab)
Actually, I precisely had this in mind when I posted (not the Git Issue, the rough level estimation in full words, which can be fuzzy/unclear when comparing ship hulls)
I was planning on moving the text to the end of the entry and having it appear directly above and in the same style as the pregenerated list until such time as we can have them all pregenerated.

Actually, just reread your suggestion, there's no need to complicate things, having the actual stat is and should be fine, the text was a shortcut back when I was very new to things (it was part of my first big patch), so no need for star ratings or similar.
OK, makes sense now. Fine for me. :)
Geoff the Medio wrote:I would avoid a star-based rating such as that because it's not clear whether ¤ and ¤¤¤ are bad and average, bad and great, average and great, or what...
At first, I wanted to use the same ratings than the species traits (--, -, +, ++, etc.). But it was a mess once displayed in the game.

What's good with a star rating is that 1 means a weak value, 5 the strongest one. 3 is somewhere in the middle. ^^
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#79 Post by Ouaz »

Just a quick suggestion:

In pedia, *Game Concepts" and *Interface* should move into **Guides**.

Currently, opening the Pedia, we have:

Code: Select all

**Guides**
*Game Concepts*
*Interface*
Building Type
Field Type
Etc.

then

**Guides**
      *Greetings*
      *Quick Start*
      Beginner Hints
Should be:

**Guides**
Building Type
Field Type
Etc.

then

**Guides**
      **Greetings**
      **Quick Start**
      *Game Concepts*
      *Interface*
      Beginner Hints
Seems a better sorting.

Moreover, [Greetings] article has a pedia link to [Quick Start] article, and [Quick Start] article has pedia links to [Game Concepts] and [Interface].

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#80 Post by MatGB »

I think I'm inclined to agree, it's what happens when a new part is added, existing parts probably ought to be part of the new thing but until someone notices, etc. You want to do it?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#81 Post by Ouaz »

MatGB wrote:You want to do it?
Well... I didn't find which file needs to be modified. :mrgreen:

As it requires to move a whole category [CATEGORY_GAME_CONCEPTS] into another one [CATEGORY_GUIDES]. Same thing for [CATEGORY_USER_INTERFACE].

That's why I posted a request. :p

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#82 Post by MatGB »

I, um, don't know either, I've never got my head around how the Pedia is structured, there's always something new and shiny to test...

Anyone?

(I think we need a guide on how the Pedia now works and how to add stuff to it, because it needs work and it should be an easy thing to do, no coding. Should be)
Mat Bowles

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#83 Post by Ouaz »

MatGB wrote:I, um, don't know either, I've never got my head around how the Pedia is structured, there's always something new and shiny to test...
Well, as far as I understand the Pedia structure:

- The first level is always a category, created directly in the stringtable.

CATEGORY_GUIDES
**Guides**
- The seconde level is always a link (or a list of links) to unique articles. For each article, the settings are stored in a focs.txt file and point to the keys in the stringtables.

GREETINGS.focs.txt

Article
    name = "GREETINGS_GUIDE_TITLE"                (= article title in the stringtable)
    category = "CATEGORY_GUIDES"                   (= category name in the stringtable)
    short_description = "GREETINGS_GUIDE_TITLE"
    description = "GREETINGS_GUIDE_TEXT"         (= article text in the stringtable)
    icon = "icons/FO_Icon_64x64.png"
To be displayed in the first level of the pedia, a category must have at least one article set to this category. More articles can be added to the list by specify the same category key.

The attribute "name" seems to be coded to create automatically a clickable pedia link (which displays the article itself).

- In the whole pedia, there's no third level, i.e. a category inside a category.
because it needs work and it should be an easy thing to do, no coding. Should be
Yeah, should be... :mrgreen:

In fact, I think it would require to add a new attribute "sub_category" or something like that.

Ex:

ENVIRONMENT.focs.txt

Article
    name = "ENVIRONMENT_TITLE"
    category = "CATEGORY_GUIDES"
    sub_category = "CATEGORY_GAME_CONCEPTS"    (-> would create the category *Game Concepts" inside the category **Guides**)
    short_description = "ENVIRONMENT_TITLE"
    description = "ENVIRONMENT_TEXT"
    icon = "icons/tech/terraform.png"

adrian_broher
Programmer

#84 Post by adrian_broher »

Hey there,

currently I'm trying to update the german translation. I stumbled over the following translation in the english string table, which sounds a bit off to me and maybe needs to be changed. Can some native speaker confirm this? The key of the translation in question is 'PRO_INDUSTRY_CENTER_II_DESC'.
Improved centralized management of dispersed industrial activities increases the size of increased industrial output provided.
What do you mean with 'increases the size of increased industrial output provided'?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#85 Post by Vezzra »

I'm not a native speaker, but that sentence does sound weird...

Geoff the Medio

#86 Post by Geoff the Medio »

adrian_broher wrote:
Improved centralized management of dispersed industrial activities increases the size of increased industrial output provided.
What do you mean with 'increases the size of increased industrial output provided'?
My interpretation: The industrial centre increases the industry meter of some planets. The refinement makes the amount of that increase bigger. eg. +5 normally, +10 after the refinement.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#87 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:My interpretation: The industrial centre increases the industry meter of some planets. The refinement makes the amount of that increase bigger. eg. +5 normally, +10 after the refinement.
Well, wouldn't that be better phrased like that: "Improved centralized management of dispersed industrial activities which further boosts the size of increased industrial output provided."?

Geoff the Medio

#88 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:My interpretation: The industrial centre increases the industry meter of some planets. The refinement makes the amount of that increase bigger. eg. +5 normally, +10 after the refinement.
Well, wouldn't that be better phrased like that: "Improved centralized management of dispersed industrial activities which further boosts the size of increased industrial output provided."?
I'd split it into two simpler sentences, like: "This makes it work better. This effect gets bigger."

Starionx
Space Floater

#89 Post by Starionx »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I'd split it into two simpler sentences, like: "This makes it work better. This effect gets bigger."
:lol:

adrian_broher
Programmer

#90 Post by adrian_broher »

Well, you're right. Looking into the script the formula is like

planet.industry = planet.industry + (planet.population * 2 * industry_per_pop)
But I also failed to post the whole text:
Improved centralized management of dispersed industrial activities increases the size of increased industrial output provided. The bonus to [[encyclopedia INDUSTRY_TITLE]] will be double that provided by basic [[buildingtype BLD_INDUSTRY_CENTER]]s.
I'd split it into two simpler sentences, like: "This makes it work better. This effect gets bigger."
So the effect is already described. However the "This makes it work better" parts is still off. I like Vezzras suggestion as it removes the 'increases the increase' repetition. But I would also think that the 'the size of increased' fragment should be replaced with a 'the' like:
Improved centralized management of dispersed industrial activities which further boosts the industrial output provided
or should should this fragment be read as a condition? Because the effect only applies on planets with industrial focus?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz