English stringtable

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: English stringtable

#61 Post by Dilvish »

yes, please go ahead and submit a PR.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#62 Post by Ouaz »

Me again.

I continue to add pedia links through the stringtable (as I translate it in french), but I have a question for one:

Code: Select all

BLD_NEUTRONIUM_EXTRACTOR_DESC
'''Permits construction of ships with Neutronium ship parts.
Currently, there is only one Neutronium ship part available in ship designs: the Neutronium Armor Plating.

Can I modify like this:

'''Permits construction of ships with [[shippart AR_NEUTRONIUM_PLATE]].
Or if others Neutronium ship parts are planned to come back in the game, like this:

'''Permits construction of ships with Neutronium ship parts, like the [[shippart AR_NEUTRONIUM_PLATE]].
Thanks!
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Dilvish

#63 Post by Dilvish »

Ideally I think there would be an article on Neutronium, which could include a list of Neutronium parts, and the extractor, forge and synthesizer could all link to that. In the meantime, I think the best option would be more akin to your last one
Ouaz wrote:Or if others Neutronium ship parts are planned to come back in the game, like this:

'''Permits construction of ships with Neutronium ship parts, like the [[shippart AR_NEUTRONIUM_PLATE]].
But, I think the original description is a bit flawed anyways, since the extractor is just one of the requirements & doesn't by itself enable such parts. I think the best would be something like

'''Makes Neutronium available to the owning empire.  Neutronium may be used at a [[building BLD_NEUTRONIUM_FORGE]] to enable construction of ships with Neutronium ship parts, like the [[shippart AR_NEUTRONIUM_PLATE]].
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#64 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote: But, I think the original description is a bit flawed anyways, since the extractor is just one of the requirements & doesn't by itself enable such parts. I think the best would be something like

'''Makes Neutronium available to the owning empire.  Neutronium may be used at a [[building BLD_NEUTRONIUM_FORGE]] to enable construction of ships with Neutronium ship parts, like the [[shippart AR_NEUTRONIUM_PLATE]].
Fine. I will add this.

-----------

I noted a lot of things about the english stringtable on which I'd like to have your opinions.

Among the major ones, this:

BLD_NEUTRONIUM_FORGE_DESC
'''This building is required at the same location as a shipyard to enable building ships with neutronium parts.

The industrial processing of neutronium requires an extensive specialized facility. Unlike most shipyards and shipyard upgrades, this building cannot be built at an [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]].'''

But in the shipyards or shipyard upgrades descriptions, there is no mention if the structure can be built on an outpost or not (except for the Asteroid Processor).

It just says that shipyard upgrades must be in the same system that the basic shipyard, or some like the Organic ones, must be in the same system and the same planet.

Dilvish

#65 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:I noted a lot of things about the english stringtable on which I'd like to have your opinions.
Sure, fire away...
Among the major ones, this:
BLD_NEUTRONIUM_FORGE_DESC
'''This building is required at the same location as a shipyard to enable building ships with neutronium parts.
The industrial processing of neutronium requires an extensive specialized facility. Unlike most shipyards and shipyard upgrades, this building cannot be built at an [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]].'''

But in the shipyards or shipyard upgrades descriptions, there is no mention if the structure can be built on an outpost or not (except for the Asteroid Processor).
It could be that the other buildings could benefit from a modification to their descriptions (but I think it's fine if most of them don't discuss this restriction). For sure, though, I think there is no need for the Forge description to comment on the requirements for other buildings. That's just inviting drift and the development of discrepancies. The Forge description should drop the "Unlike most shipyards and shipyard upgrades, "

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#66 Post by MatGB »

You can't build a shipyard at an outpost, but if you've got a shipyard then the planet depopulates you can normally keep building the expansions, that's not really ideal in terms of expectations (even though it is an edge case) so I'd say remove that line and we'll look at sorting the scripts out for consistency.

And yes, I am hoping to have more Neutronium parts (including a hull? possibly) at some point but it's a low priority unless someone comes up with ideas, definitely like the improved text though.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#67 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote:
Ouaz wrote:I noted a lot of things about the english stringtable on which I'd like to have your opinions.
Sure, fire away...
Well, in most of the case, it's minor things but let's go:

1) It seems that the Self-Defense tech (which is automatically unlocked at the beginning) adds +1 to Shields on planets. But something unknown remove -1 to the same Shields.
self_defense_bonus.gif
self_defense_bonus.gif (8.08 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
In the tech description, it is only said that the Self-Defense increases Max Troops on all planets by 0.2 per Population.
self_defense.PNG
self_defense.PNG (29.38 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Is the -1 malus is intended to cancel a non-desired shield bonus granted by Self-Defense, or the "+1 to shields on all planets" is missing in the tech description?

2) A previous french translator had changed the names for Planetary Garrison techs, as following:

Planetary Garrison 1 -> Garrison 1 [Planetary Battalion]

Planetary Garrison 2 -> Garrison 2 [Planetary Regiment]

Planetary Garrison 3 -> Garrison 3 [Planetary Brigade]

Planetary Garrison 4 -> Garrison 4 [Planetary Army]

I thought it was a cool idea, so I kept it. I just added the Garrison 1,2, etc. to keep the power value information (if somebody doesn't know that a Brigade is more powerful than a Regiment :p).

In french, it's good, but I don't know if it makes sense in english (or simply if it's a good idea for you guys).

3) The map scale indicators (both the line and now the recently implemented circle) are very useful IMO, moreover when you're a FO beginner. In french, I added some lines to the Detection Range Pedia article, to give more information about these features:

Currently in english, it ends with:

-----
Space ships and planets have a Detection Range meter. There is the option to display Detection Range circles in the Galaxy Map section of the Options menu.
-----
detection_range_pedia.PNG
detection_range_pedia.PNG (33.14 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Like in french, the modified text would be:

-----
Space ships and planets have a Detection Range meter. There is the option to display Detection Range circles (in uu) in the Galaxy Map section of the Options menu. The options 'Map Scale Line' and 'Map Scale Circle' allow respectively to display the map scale depending of the zoom level and to measure the scale of the Detection Range circles (also in uu).
-----

Is it worth to be added? And also to check if my english is not too clunky... :roll:

That's all (for now).

Thanks!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#68 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ouaz wrote:But something unknown remove -1 to the same Shields.
Hit turn a few times. Does the deduction stick around after the first turn?

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#69 Post by Ouaz »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Ouaz wrote:But something unknown remove -1 to the same Shields.
Hit turn a few times. Does the deduction stick around after the first turn?
Yes, until Turn 3. It disappears on Turn 4.

But I started a new game (with the same seed) and all is right since Turn 1 (no -1 deduction).

Maybe it comes from the three build old save file (which is currently on Turn 3 with -1 deduction).

Everything is right, then (but it means the pedia article is incomplete :P )

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#70 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ouaz wrote:Maybe it comes from the three build old save file (which is currently on Turn 3 with -1 deduction)
If you mix save versions, consider yourself lucky it loads at all.

Dilvish

#71 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:1) It seems that the Self-Defense tech (which is automatically unlocked at the beginning) adds +1 to Shields on planets. ... In the tech description, it is only said that the Self-Defense increases Max Troops on all planets by 0.2 per Population.
Yes, that +1 was recently added. I'll add to the Self Defense description for it; I'd prefer to give a slight bit of story for it to distinguish some from the later more substantial shields.
2) A previous french translator had changed the names for Planetary Garrison techs, as following:
Planetary Garrison 1 -> Garrison 1 [Planetary Battalion]
Planetary Garrison 2 -> Garrison 2 [Planetary Regiment]
Planetary Garrison 3 -> Garrison 3 [Planetary Brigade]
Planetary Garrison 4 -> Garrison 4 [Planetary Army]

I thought it was a cool idea, so I kept it. I just added the Garrison 1,2, etc. In french, it's good, but I don't know if it makes sense in english (or simply if it's a good idea for you guys).
It works well enough in English too. Sounds fine to me-- does anyone care to second that?
3) The map scale indicators (both the line and now the recently implemented circle) are very useful IMO, moreover when you're a FO beginner.
I'm glad to hear you like them.
In french, I added some lines to the Detection Range Pedia article, to give more information about these features... the modified text would be:

-----
Space ships and planets have a Detection Range meter. There is the option to display Detection Range circles (in uu) in the Galaxy Map section of the Options menu. The options 'Map Scale Line' and 'Map Scale Circle' allow respectively to display the map scale depending of the zoom level and to measure the scale of the Detection Range circles (also in uu).
-----

Is it worth to be added? And also to check if my english is not too clunky... :roll:
Your English is fine. I think I would propose the following text though, more focused on prediction than measurement (though it could be my version is too wordy):

Space ships and planets have a Detection Range meter. There is the option to display Detection Range circles (in uu) in the Galaxy Map section of the Options menu.  To facilitate predictions of what would be within a ship's detection at a new system (and similar mapping tasks) there are also options to display a standard 'Map Scale Line' as well as a 'Map Scale Circle' centered on the currently selected system and indicating the same distance as the Map Scale Line.  They are both responsive to the the map zoom level and their stopping points are also chosen to generally include the speeds and detection ranges of any selected fleets and planets.  The display of the Map Scale Line and Map Scale Circle can also be toggled via hotkeys.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#72 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote: I think I would propose the following text though, more focused on prediction than measurement (though it could be my version is too wordy):

Space ships and planets have a Detection Range meter. There is the option to display Detection Range circles (in uu) in the Galaxy Map section of the Options menu.  To facilitate predictions of what would be within a ship's detection at a new system (and similar mapping tasks) there are also options to display a standard 'Map Scale Line' as well as a 'Map Scale Circle' centered on the currently selected system and indicating the same distance as the Map Scale Line.  They are both responsive to the the map zoom level and their stopping points are also chosen to generally include the speeds and detection ranges of any selected fleets and planets.  The display of the Map Scale Line and Map Scale Circle can also be toggled via hotkeys.
Fine. I will add it. The most there is information in the pedia, the most the beginner will not be lost. ;)

Another thing:

For the Planetary Starlane Drive:

BLD_PLANET_DRIVE_DESC
'''Allows a planet to move between star systems. An interstellar lighthouse is required within 200 uu of the target system to allow the planet to proceed safely.
I will obviously add a Pedia link for "Interstellar Lighthouse", but reading the Interstellar Lightouse description, there is no mention that it is needed (or at least advised to have one) for Planetary Starlane Drive.

Can I update the description like this:

BLD_LIGHTHOUSE_DESC
Increases speed of ships departing this system, and decreases the [[encyclopedia STEALTH_TITLE]] of all objects in the same system by 30. Friendly ships within 50 uus gain a starlane speed bonus of 20. This building can be built at an [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]] and, in case of using the Planetary Starlane Drive (pedia link), it is advised to have one within 200 uu of the target system.
I almost finished to bother you with all that stuff as I am almost at the end of the BUILDINGS translation. :p

Dilvish

#73 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:For the Planetary Starlane Drive: ... reading the Interstellar Lightouse description, there is no mention that it is needed (or at least advised to have one) for Planetary Starlane Drive. Can I update the description like this:

BLD_LIGHTHOUSE_DESC
Increases speed of ships departing this system, and decreases the [[encyclopedia STEALTH_TITLE]] of all objects in the same system by 30. Friendly ships within 50 uus gain a starlane speed bonus of 20. This building can be built at an [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]] and, in case of using the Planetary Starlane Drive (pedia link), it is advised to have one within 200 uu of the target system.
I would be wary of adding backlinks for info of this sort, or to at least to avoid any details with such backlinks. If we change some detail of item A we shouldn't have to change not just the description for item A but also the description(s) for item(s) B (and C, etc.). This present situation is actually a great case in point.

This issue with a Lighthouse and Planetary Starlane Drive is apparently tricky enough to be described well in a single place, let alone multiple places. Before moving on to the Lighthouse I would think some improvement to the Planetary Starlane Drive is warranted. It refers to the Lighthouse being required "within 200 uu of the target system" where "target system" seems to me can only be sensibly interpreted as the destination system. However, it is actually its presence within 200 uu of the originating system that matters (unless I'm misreading the script).

So, already an adjustment to the Lighthouse description would be needed if we had previously gone with what Ouaz had (reasonably) proposed based on the existing Planetary Starlane Drive description. To minimize this kind of complication in the face of any potential future adjustments, I would suggest that at most the Lighthouse description include a reference that it "may facilitate use of a [[building BLD_PLANET_DRIVE]]."

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#74 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:does anyone care to second that?
I do. Seconded. :D

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#75 Post by Ouaz »

Proposal:

Hull pedia articles: replace the sentence that indicates stealth, detection range, starlane speed levels, with rating icons, for a cleaner presentation which makes easier a quick comparison between hulls.

I listed 11 different levels, that can be replaced by rating icons (1 -min- to 5 -max-)

¤
very low
low
poor (only one case)

¤¤
average
moderate

¤¤¤
normal
good

¤¤¤¤
high
very high

¤¤¤¤¤
extremely high
excellent
hull_stats_icons.png
hull_stats_icons.png (28.17 KiB) Viewed 6248 times

When a hull gets a bonus depending on its location (e.g. asteroid hulls in an asteroid belt):
hull_stats_rateicons_bonus.png
hull_stats_rateicons_bonus.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
This would be temporary as I read somewhere in the forum, that somebody works on a macro (like for the ship design stats) to improve this.