English stringtable

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

Re: English stringtable

#46 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Add mention about organc species only for 'Bio-Terminators'
Slightly change text for tech and ship part.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#47 Post by Dilvish »

r7873 | dilvish-fo | 2015-01-26 02:21:05 -0800 (Mon, 26 Jan 2015) | 1 line
update by Cjkjvfnby to Death Spores description and Bioterminators description
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

shivu

#48 Post by shivu »

Dilvish wrote:To clarify myself a little-- I think I already understand enough of your reasoning about why an equivalent proposal would be good for French and German. I have no objection to that (I have given an opinion about what pieces of information are most important, for any language, but my knowledge of French and German is far too scant to voice an opinion about what the best phrasing in those languages would be). Unless Ouaz or Vezzra want to discuss those proposals more, you might not need to take the time to write out an explanation of them.
Don’t be afraid. I had taken all this points into account, even more.
Dilvish wrote:I was just not understanding what the reasons would be for this proposed change to the English stringtable.
It begins with my proposal to translate the name of the basics ships (scout, cruiser, frigate and corvette). Ouaz was against it by an example showing what would be the consequences.
The famous: At %system%: ….. and give also same solutions (I began to thinking aloud).
I make the remark that if it can be acceptable for French it’s less for German.
MatGB starts ”with something similar to”:
At %system%: an %empire% %shipdesign% (the '%ship%') was destroyed.

For me, it’s now different. I have the opportunity to act at the root, so I make same proposals that do not make any problems in the different languages. I was not really fixed on what was best. I just feel less is easier and better.

MatGB says, I want to keep the begin “At %system%”

For me it’s ok, so new proposal:
At %system%: %ship%, an %empire% ship of class % shipdesign % was destroyed.

Dilvish point out: %ship% -- for a destroyed ship, the link is essentially useless.
And proposes: At %system%: a %shipdesign% of the %empire% was destroyed.

I check the link and now I found a real reason to my “less is better” from the begin.
Unfortunately, with “a %shipdesign%” Dilvish reintroduce a problem. A step backwards.

My answer:
A ship of class % shipdesign %, belonging to %empire%, has been destroyed.
Here a little clarification is necessary. I was meaning, of course, the sentence begins with:
At %system%:

Then I make the last proposal in patch form on the English stringtable.
Depending of the point of view, I can easily understand if somebody says: this gay is changing his mind like he changes his shirt. In fact, what I do, were nothings else then taken into account the remarks and opinions of all peoples. By not taking into account these “external influences”, I prefer to say that there has been evolution rather than change of mind. This is reflected in my patch on English stringtable.

In any cases you must take the decision which English sentence will be used, my English knowledge is
definitely not good enough.

N.B. The en_sitrep.patch has a little bug, I make a fix.

shivu

#49 Post by shivu »

Sitrep patch fix.

This patch belongs to en.txt (r7884).
Attachments

Dilvish

#50 Post by Dilvish »

shivu wrote:Unfortunately, with “a %shipdesign%” Dilvish reintroduce a problem. A step backwards.
How is this a problem or a step backwards? If the perceived problem is actually stemming from the translation to French, German or some other language, I am rather convinced that changing the wording of the English SitRep is not a part of the appropriate solution. I can understand that putting the Enlgish language SitRep into a structure that will most directly translate well is something that would make the translation job easier. But that seems like really a fairly minor issue that should not trump the clearest communications in each respective language.
For an English SitRep like this, the phrase "ship of class" is pretty much just clutter. From the other discussions though it does sound likely to be useful in the French, German and likely other translations, though. It is not a problem if the SitReps for those languages use the phrase, even if the English language SitRep does not use it.

Looking over these SitReps, and thinking about the issues you've raised, one thing that comes to mind is an awkwardness in the current set of SitReps regarding monsters -- using the same SitRep for a damaged monster as for some other damaged unowned ship can be a bit awkward. From these discussions I expect that is even a bigger problem in French, and we should probably look at having a different set of SitReps generated for monsters (like, for example, looks like is already done for ship arrivals).

shivu

#51 Post by shivu »

Dilvish wrote:shivu wrote:
Unfortunately, with “a %shipdesign%” Dilvish reintroduce a problem. A step backwards.
How is this a problem or a step backwards? If the perceived problem is actually stemming from the translation to French, German or some other language, I am rather convinced that changing the wording of the English SitRep is not a part of the appropriate solution. I can understand that putting the Enlgish language SitRep into a structure that will most directly translate well is something that would make the translation job easier. But that seems like really a fairly minor issue that should not trump the clearest communications in each respective language.
It is no more a problem.
Dilvish wrote:Quote:
For an English SitRep like this, the phrase "ship of class" is pretty much just clutter. From the other discussions though it does sound likely to be useful in the French, German and likely other translations, though. It is not a problem if the SitReps for those languages use the phrase, even if the English language SitRep does not use it.
The full write out was:
Shivu wrote: French is different; it works only if I change the sequence of the sentence.
Fr: Un astronef de la classe % shipdesign %, appartenant à %empire%, a été détruit.
A Word for Word translation back to English gives:
A ship of class % shipdesign %, belonging to %empire%, has been destroyed. By the way, the commas also have their importance for the well understanding of the sentence.
Therefor it was NOT English (just “French written in English”).
Dilvish wrote:Looking over these SitReps, and thinking about the issues you've raised, one thing that comes to mind is an awkwardness in the current set of SitReps regarding monsters -- using the same SitRep for a damaged monster as for some other damaged unowned ship can be a bit awkward. From these discussions I expect that is even a bigger problem in French, and we should probably look at having a different set of SitReps generated for monsters (like, for example, looks like is already done for ship arrivals).
Until now I have not encountered any problems with the monsters. I can’t say anythings about.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#52 Post by Ouaz »

As I use the last en.txt (r8048 or 41d5ee9 on GitHub, Mar,21, 2015) as reference for french translation, I noticed some missing pedia links:

1) asteroid processor can be replaced by [[buildingtype BLD_SHIPYARD_AST]] on line 195, 315, 320, 325, 330, 335, 395:

Code: Select all

Asteroid ships can only be built in systems with an asteroid processor
2) orbital drydock can be replaced by [[buildingtype BLD_SHIPYARD_ORBITAL_DRYDOCK]] on line 270, 275, 280:

Can only be built at a colony with an orbital drydock.
3) shipyard can be replaced by [[buildingtype BLD_SHIPYARD_BASE]] on line 375, 385, 395:

This vessel can only be built at a colony with a population of at least three, with a shipyard.

4) Orbital Incubator can be replaced by [[buildingtype BLD_SHIPYARD_ORG_ORB_INC]] on line 380, 390, 405, 440:

This vessel can only be built at a colony with a population of at least three, with an Orbital Incubator.
5) Fuel can be replaced by [[encyclopedia FUEL_TITLE]] on this string:

line 7376
'''Increases max Fuel on all ships by 2
Here's the patch based on en.txt (r8048 or 41d5ee9 on GitHub):

The modifications are already made on fr.txt but not yet submitted.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#53 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Ouaz wrote:Here's the patch based on en.txt (r8048 or 41d5ee9 on GitHub):
IMHO it is time to use github for patches.

It is more easy for me to check translation patches on github page. https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... pand=1?w=1

Dilvish

#54 Post by Dilvish »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:IMHO it is time to use github for patches. It is more easy for me to check translation patches on github page. https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... pand=1?w=1
I agree it seems to make sense to leverage what GitHub has to offer. I think we're still waiting on the reimport to be completed before we could take a final action here, but in the meantime let's review what steps we would actually take, and why.

I take it you facilitated the comparison you linked to by applying Ouaz' patch, pushing it to your github freeorion fork, and then setting up the comparison and linking to that? Whereas normally going forward, ideally people would push their proposed changes to their own fork, and then either submit a pull request and link to that or else link to a comparison like you have done here, yes?

In a case like this, where it is a comparison linked to, it appears to give me an option to create a pull request from it. If I did that, then it would have me submitting a pull request to the main freeorion repo, with changes from the fork (yours in this case), is that right? And then I could go to the main freeorion repo and approve the pull request. Would that be the preferred way to handle it? I suppose that after the comparison link is posted I could just look at it and then suggest the OP submit a pull request for it; in one way it seems to make more sense for the pull request to come from the OP, but if it was just a comparison linked to then it seems probably a bit more efficient if the reviewing committer just submitted and approved the pull request (but maybe that encourages bad habits?).

Is there any consensus standard practice to prefer linking to a comparison versus the OP going ahead and taking the step of setting up a pull request and then linking to that?

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#55 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Dilvish wrote:
Cjkjvfnby wrote:IMHO it is time to use github for patches. It is more easy for me to check translation patches on github page. https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... pand=1?w=1
I agree it seems to make sense to leverage what GitHub has to offer. I think we're still waiting on the reimport to be completed before we could take a final action here, but in the meantime let's review what steps we would actually take, and why.

I take it you facilitated the comparison you linked to by applying Ouaz' patch, pushing it to your github freeorion fork, and then setting up the comparison and linking to that? Whereas normally going forward, ideally people would push their proposed changes to their own fork, and then either submit a pull request and link to that or else link to a comparison like you have done here, yes?

In a case like this, where it is a comparison linked to, it appears to give me an option to create a pull request from it. If I did that, then it would have me submitting a pull request to the main freeorion repo, with changes from the fork (yours in this case), is that right? And then I could go to the main freeorion repo and approve the pull request. Would that be the preferred way to handle it? I suppose that after the comparison link is posted I could just look at it and then suggest the OP submit a pull request for it; in one way it seems to make more sense for the pull request to come from the OP, but if it was just a comparison linked to then it seems probably a bit more efficient if the reviewing committer just submitted and approved the pull request (but maybe that encourages bad habits?).

Is there any consensus standard practice to prefer linking to a comparison versus the OP going ahead and taking the step of setting up a pull request and then linking to that?
I did not make pull request just because we will have reimport. I expect commiter will make pull request instead of attaching patch to forum.

Owner of repo can do next:
Accept pull request. (merge it to branch specified by commiter)
Decline
Comment
Checkout (get its copy to local machine https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247)
Assign it to collaborator

I just made one https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1 Did you got notification?

You have 3 tabs conversation/commits/files changed last one is diff

While pull request in pending status commiter can push more commits to it.

PS. https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/

Dilvish

#56 Post by Dilvish »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:I just made one https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1 Did you got notification?
I did, yes. Thanks for the commentary and links.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#57 Post by Ouaz »

I noticed that the "Outposts" pedia article (which is useful) has no pedia links through the whole stringtable.

I added some in the FR stringtable but it requires to remove the "s" from "Outposts" pedia title. In french, it's OK, but I don't know if it's OK in english.

So, before create a PR for en.txt, I prefer to ask.

Here's the list (9 entries) of the added pedia links:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
- remove "s" from "Outposts" in OUTPOSTS_TITLE
- remove "s" from "Outposts" in OUTPOSTS_ARTICLE_SHORT_DESC

+ Pedia links [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]] to add:

SD_OUTPOST_SHIP_DESC
Unarmed vessel capable of creating an outpost on an uninhabitable world.

SD_ORG_OUTPOST_SHIP_DESC
Unarmed organic vessel capable of creating an outpost on an uninhabitable world. This vessel can only be built at a colony with an [[buildingtype BLD_SHIPYARD_ORG_ORB_INC]].

SD_OUTPOST_BASE_DESC
Unarmed vessel capable of creating an outpost on an uninhabited world in the system where it is produced. This vessel cannot travel through star lanes.

BLD_SHIPYARD_AST_DESC
'''This building is required for the production of all asteroid hulls and all further asteroid processor upgrades. It may be built at an outpost.

A massive processing plant dedicated to the purpose of hollowing out asteroids and preparing them to be used as ships' hulls. Asteroids thus prepared are sent to a shipyard in the same system, where they are turned into the final hull. This building can only be built on asteroid belts.'''

BLD_BIOTERROR_PROJECTOR_DESC
'''Gives the planet on which it is built the Bioterror focus, which decreases Population on enemy planets within 4 starlane jumps at a rate of 2 per turn, provided the enemy empire does not contain a Genome Bank.

This clandestine biological warfare base wreaks havoc on enemy planets in the vicinity. Gradually reduces the Population of all enemy planets within four starlane jumps until the planet's population is gone. Such activities are not endorsed by the public however, and this facility can only be built on a planet with a resonant moon. Ineffective if there is a Genome Bank building in the enemy empire. This building can also be built at an outpost, provided it has a resonant moon.'''

BLD_LIGHTHOUSE_DESC
Increases speed of ships departing this system, and decreases the [[encyclopedia STEALTH_TITLE]] of all objects in the same system by 30. This building can be built at an outpost. Friendly ships within 50 uus gain a starlane speed bonus of 20.

BLD_COL_PART_1
This building can only build at an outpost, and will upgrade that outpost to a new

BLD_COL_EXOBOT_DESC
This building will construct an [[species SP_EXOBOT]] colony at an outpost. Contrary to the colony buildings of other species, an Exobot colony does not need an already existing Exobot colony within supply range, as the Exobots are constructed as part of the colony directly planetside. However, because of that they are more expensive to build, and they still need an empire owned planet within supply range.

CO_OUTPOST_POD_DESC
Outposts modules allow you to establish unmanned station. These may be place on uninhabitable planets. They have no population, and normally produce no resources. But they provide vision create [[encyclopedia SUPPLY_TITLE]] lines when the right tech is researched. Outposts can be upgraded to colonies. The cost of this part increases as the empire expands to reflect the upkeep costs of a large empire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks.

Dilvish

#58 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:I added some in the FR stringtable but it requires to remove the "s" from "Outposts" pedia title. In french, it's OK, but I don't know if it's OK in english. So, before create a PR for en.txt, I prefer to ask.
Sounds fine in general, but CO_OUTPOST_POD_DESC had an existing mistake, it should simply be "Outpost modules", not "Outposts modules".

Also, one part left me a little puzzled:
Why do you need to change both of these? I can understand the first one, since that is what gets actually used for the [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]] references, right? I'm not quite recalling though just where the short descriptions get used, and whether it is necessary (or best) to change it there also.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#59 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote: Also, one part left me a little puzzled:
Why do you need to change both of these? I can understand the first one, since that is what gets actually used for the [[encyclopedia OUTPOSTS_TITLE]] references, right? I'm not quite recalling though just where the short descriptions get used, and whether it is necessary (or best) to change it there also.
It's just to have some consistency when displayed in the Pedia:
outposts_pedia.PNG
outposts_pedia.PNG (21.82 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
OUTPOSTS_ARTICLE_SHORT_DESC is the second title line.

In french, it's better to remove the "s" too, as a name which refers to a "category" (here Game Concepts) can be in singular form. In english, I wasn't sure, that's why I asked.^^

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#60 Post by MatGB »

Looks good to me, and thank you for thinking of it, we definitely want cross referencing throughout where and when appropriate.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.