English stringtable

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
MatGB
Creative Contributor

English stringtable

#1 Post by MatGB »

Reading through, I noticed a few spelling errors in en.txt, and some grammatical weirdness. Plus, there's some data missing (floaters drop dyson forests, for example) and some info wrong (Megaliths give their +2 supply bonus to all colonies not just the planet they're on).

So, given it's something I know I can do, I figured I could write up a patch fixing the obvious erros, updating things, etc. One question before I get really started. I'm British, should it be English English or American English for words that have different spellings (colour/color being the most obvious)? I think it ought to be consistent and can easily do either.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: English stringtable

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:...should it be English English or American English for words that have different spellings (colour/color being the most obvious)? I think it ought to be consistent and can easily do either.
Whichever seems most consistent with existing strings, then?

shawndream
Space Kraken

#3 Post by shawndream »

As an American and native Mur'can speaker I have to say that reading Terry Pratchett novels never bothered me in the least, and I'm sure they didn't bother to "localize" them all.

If I have a single beef with "English" english, it's not the differences from American English, it's the way you guys failed to hold onto the consistant phonetics and structure of old english after the Norman invasion of 1066 and gave all of us (and the rest of your and our military and economic colonies) a mixed up language with half french spelling, grammar, and pronunciation to deal with for the next thousand years.
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

shawndream wrote:As an American and native Mur'can speaker I have to say that reading Terry Pratchett novels never bothered me in the least, and I'm sure they didn't bother to "localize" them all.
If you bought US prints, they'll have been localised, I have a few Gaiman and Pratchett books bought while over there (as well as several US authors), and they're all in "American", it was really weird reading a description of Richard Mayhew falling down on an Edinburgh sidewalk at the beginning of Neverwhere, for example. You won't notice it unless you read it out of your normal language. Of course, it's possible Pratchett doesn't need much localising because it's set in a fantasy milieu, but they do carefully go through and do it for every edition, including amendments between printings sometimes

Sorry, publshing geekery sometimes takes over...

I'll pick whatever seems to have the fewer redlines with the spellchecker when I get started.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Right, I think this works properly and is based on the most recent stringtable in SVN. I've attached botht he patch and the text file. This is the first pass, and it's fairly big, but mostly minor spelling errors, grammatical updates or error checking. Xenological Genetics now tells you what happens on Poor planets and Hostile planets, not Poor and "Poor Hostile" planets, etc. I used the standard US English Notepad++ dictionary, and googled any terms not in it, especially science based terms. I tried to hyphenate where appropriate but not excessively.

I'm going to give it another pass at some point to tidy up language and make things clearer, but that's going to take time and I wanted to get this submitted.

Last time I made a patch file I messed up the formatting, I think I got it right this time but if someone that knows this stuff can check?
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In future, make patches relative to the FreeOrion directory, not the just the file. The filename in this patch should have "default/stringtables/" before it.

The hyphenations are mostly / all unnecessary.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:In future, make patches relative to the FreeOrion directory, not the just the file. The filename in this patch should have "default/stringtables/" before it.
OK, um, any idea how to get SVN to do that? I'm using Tortoise and it's something I'm learning to do this.
The hyphenations are mostly / all unnecessary.
Fair enough, I prefer them and they're more "correct" but I've never been a huge fan of the idea that English can be correct so I'll remove them and give it another pass, I might spot something else while doing it.
Mat Bowles

adrian_broher
Programmer

#8 Post by adrian_broher »

MatGB wrote:OK, um, any idea how to get SVN to do that? I'm using Tortoise and it's something I'm learning to do this.
See this stack overflow thread, where the 'root directory' is the directory that contains the changelog.txt file.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

Ah, I see, yeah, that'd mean having the rest of my SVN folder being exactly as per the server or having multiple versions, which I can do at some point.

In the meantime I've done the amendments, egregious errors removed and updated, think getting it all right'll take some more work but I want to do some scripting, if this is OK we can commit this and I'll come back for another pass when I'm in the mood, I want to rewrite the stealth tech descriptions to cover that they'll add specials to all planets (which multiple new players get confused by, I know I did), and a few other things to clarify what's going on, but we can treat it as an ongoing project same as everything else.

Obviously if someone sees something I've done wrong I want tog et this fixed but this has been a lot of work to get through and I need a break from it (even trying to read the whole thing I know my eyes glossed over and skimmed bits, so there are undoubtedly more things to change/remove/add/clarify)

As always, released under the creative commons/GPL version that the project uses.
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Committed a slightly edited version.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Committed a slightly edited version.
Heh, someday I'll get a complete commit ;-)

AFAICS, it's exactly the same except you swapped two paragraphs?
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Some capitalization... Didn't move anything.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Fair enough, I did a Diff comparison and it said they'd moved, but it's probably me misreading, not that it matters.
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Diff is not perfect. Nor is applying patches.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#15 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Fix typo ORCER to ORDER
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0