fr_stringtable

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: fr_stringtable

#196 Post by MatGB »

I hadn't noticed the English stuff (should have, oops) and was about to hit commit as I have zero way of knowing if the French is good or not ;-) Leaving it pending for now as per Dilvish's comment.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#197 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Ouaz wrote: Why? Because this is how I manage to keep the fr file up-to-date and how I progress with the translation:

*To keep the fr file up-to-date*

First, I always save locally the last en file I used as reference (before on SF, I noted the revision number, now on Github, I note the date).
When some modifications are made to en.txt on the repository, I save locally the new latest en file to date (I check every week or two). Then, I compare the two files with Meld:
You can check what was changed via git.

Console
1) checkout to master
2) find commit hash then you fr.txt was uptodate with en.txt (lets use e340412 for example)
3) execute in console git diff e340412 default/stringtables/en.txt
4) enjoy changes

Github
Open compare dialog in main repo page. https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion (green button near branch name)
Select you commit as base https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 2...master

Find en.txt in "file changed"
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 9b5d9b2589
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#198 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote: I was expecting that Cj would do an additional commit on his branch cleaning up such things before putting in the PR.

Yes, that is what was planned:

1 - I work with the full_fr_file like before (see here)
2 - I pull a request to Cj's branch "full_files_for_Quaz"
3 - Cj does his magic trick to remove the untranslated entries.
4 - Cj pull a new request to freeorion/master

It seems something went wrong.
An example is
SHP_TRANSSPACE_DRIVE_DESC
+Even when spatial dimensions are skewed by relativistic effects, an object generally has constant space-time characteristics. By creating a device which alters the characteristics of space-time itself using quasi-relativistic effects, it would be possible to create a fast, stealthy method of propulsion.
[...] in that the only change from current to new appears to be removal of the surrounding triple quotes, which at first glance had seemed wrong.
Yes, triple quotes were automatically added because there was a space at the end of the string. Which is obviously a typo. Whatever, this line should not be in Cj's PR.

What seems also wrong in Cj's pull request, is this:
+SPY_STEALTH_1_DESC
+Unlocks the [[shippart ST_CLOAK_1]] ship part and gives all planets and outposts in the empire the [[special CLOUD_COVER_SLAVE_SPECIAL]] special which increases the [[encyclopedia STEALTH_TITLE]] of all planets and buildings by 20.
+
I didn't modify or added this line in my request.

So why it appears here?

Well, at first, the goal was to speed up the process... :lol:
Last edited by Ouaz on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#199 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Dilvish wrote:Since Ouaz is perhaps more likely to stay current on discussions here than attached to the Pull Request, I am bringing this comment here rather than at GitHub. I note that the PR still includes a number of untranslated entries, which I had thought we would not be committing to translation stringtables in the main repository. I was expecting that Cj would do an additional commit on his branch cleaning up such things before putting in the PR. Did you all (Cj and Ouaz) have a different plan?
I don't remove them to have same diff that was in pr to my repo.

@Ouaz, you can do next:

Checkout my branch
Reset it to master with out changing working tree (git reset master --mixed)
Remove english text (may be not only current)
Commit it
Push it to branch in your fork
Make pull request to main repo

PS. I can provide more detailed instruction if you need.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#200 Post by Ouaz »

Cjkjvfnby wrote: @Ouaz, you can do next:

Checkout my branch
Reset it to master with out changing working tree (git reset master --mixed)
Remove english text (may be not only current)
Commit it
Push it to branch in your fork
Make pull request to main repo

PS. I can provide more detailed instruction if you need.
Well, all this is chinese for me. :lol:

I just discover GitHub and use only the web interface.

That's why I liked how it was before: I kept the fr file up-do-date regularly, I translated, I made a patch... et voilà.

Now, I spend all my time to struggle with different files:

- one without the english strings (check if everything is right)
- one without the double lines (the one I must use for the PR now)
- one strictly identical to the structure of the english file (I still use this one to translate, improve or modify quickly and easily, by comparing with the english master file)

...all of this rather than translating. :?

Oh boy.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#201 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Ouaz wrote: 3 - Cj does his magic trick to remove the untranslated entries.

Yes, triple quotes were automatically added because there was a space at the end of the string. Which is obviously a typo. Whatever, this line should not be in Cj's PR.
It is part of magic. This string is different from en.txt so my script cant remove it as duplicated. Spaces matters.
+SPY_STEALTH_1_DESC
I didn't modify or added this line in my request.

So why it appears here?
I don't know. Will inspect it.
Well, all this is chinese for me. :lol:
我會做我自己。

- one without the double lines (the one I use for the PR now)
- one strictly indentical to the structure of the english file (I still use this one to translate, improve or modify quickly and easily, by comparing with th english master file)

...rather than translating. :?
Looks like you don't need first too. I think you can continue with third for couple of days.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#202 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:What seems also wrong in Cj's pull request, is this:
+SPY_STEALTH_1_DESC
+Unlocks the [[shippart ST_CLOAK_1]] ship part and gives all planets and outposts in the empire the [[special CLOUD_COVER_SLAVE_SPECIAL]] special which increases the [[encyclopedia STEALTH_TITLE]] of all planets and buildings by 20.
+
I didn't modify or added this line in my request. So why it appears here?
Hmm, following the link you gave I actually seem to find SPY_STEALTH_1_DESC showing in it as changed. I guess that must be from the pre-processing CJ had done to remove the triple quotes and trailing space before passing on the file to you? Or is there something else more odd going on?
Well, at first, the goal was to speed up the process... :lol:
Partly also to make it a more reliable way to get the stringtable submission into good shape. Our process obviously still needs a bit of work on both fronts, but I am still pretty hopeful that these hiccups will be smoothed out & it will be a good process going forward.
Cjkjvfnby wrote:I don't remove them to have same diff that was in pr to my repo.
If you do the cleanup in your local branch, and make a commit for that, then your PR would come through clean, and clearly show his commit unchanged from the PR he sent you, plus the commit where you clean it up. Given that it seems his commit already had cleanup from your scripts somehow, I'm not sure how much it matters trying to keep the commits pristine, but it certainly should be fine you you to submit the PR with 2 commits. As Ouaz has already noted, it would probably be much easier for you to do this extra bit of cleanup than him, if you are willing...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#203 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ouaz wrote:That's why I liked how it was before: I kept the fr file up-do-date regularly, I translated, I made a patch... et voilà.

- one without the double lines (the one I must use for the PR now)
- one strictly identical to the structure of the english file (I still use this one to translate, improve or modify quickly and easily, by comparing with the english master file)
To clarify, are the problems you're having now due to github workflow, or to changes in the expected content / formatting of the translated stringtable files (specifically, having no untranslated strings, or perhaps other changes)?

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#204 Post by Ouaz »

Geoff the Medio wrote:To clarify, are the problems you're having now due to github workflow, or to changes in the expected content / formatting of the translated stringtable files (specifically, having no untranslated strings, or perhaps other changes)?
Hi Geoff,

1- I'm totally OK with the GitHub migration. It's far better than posting patches here and there in the forum, which gave some tedious work to the commiters.

2- I'm OK with Cj's script that adds or removes triple quotes (despite there was some errors due to typos, but it was quick to fix)

3- I'm OK too with Cj's script that removes the unnecessary double blank lines (76). It induces a little extra work when I merge my modifications (as I still work with the "not cleaned" fr file, in order to be still able to use the master english file as reference for the translation), but I can deal with this (until the same scripts will be applied to the en file, I hope, mainly the double blank lines removal).

4- I'm not OK at all with removing the untranslated or not yet translated lines in the fr stringtables, as it makes the two files totally different now, regarding the number of lines. I understand what is the goal though (keep all translation files synced with the english file), but for my part, I maintained the fr file up-to-date each week or two (see here). So, no risk of obsolete values (but anyway, if the file is not maintained regularly, obsolete values can appear in the already translated strings, so remove the not yet translated or untranslated strings becomes useless).
And it is so much easier to compare, translate, improve, check, when the the two files (en and fr) are identical.

If the fr file in freeorion/master still had the same structure than the english file, it would be also so much easier to submit updates. I could pull a request directly to the master fr file.
Currently, it requires to work with a temporary file, then pull a request first to Cj's fork, then apply the script again, then check if everything goes right in the PR to the master repository (that is not the case for the last PR).

It's just tedious and complicates things uselessly.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#205 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:but anyway, if the file is not maintained regularly, obsolete values can appear in the already translated strings, so remove the not yet translated or untranslated strings becomes useless
That logic doesn't really hold up-- just because there might be one type of stale translations does not mean that avoiding even more stale/bad/non- translations is useless.
If the fr file in freeorion/master still had the same structure than the english file, it would be also so much easier to submit updates. I could pull a request directly to the master fr file.
I have an idea that might let us meet everyone's criteria, if Cj is willing to put a bit more work into his processing script(s). I think the only significant point of conflict is about untranslated entries; we don't want them in the official FR stringtable because they would block fallback to the EN stringtable, but Ouaz finds them very helpful with his translation work. If Cj adjusted his cleanup script so that it did not quite totally remove untranslated entries, but instead commented them out (both key and value) then it seems to me that both sets of concerns would be met. If there was also some concern about extra blank lines that Ouaz wanted preserved in the FR stringtable to preserve line matching to en.txt, then that can probably also be managed by using a commented line instead of a truly blank line.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#206 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote:
Ouaz wrote:but anyway, if the file is not maintained regularly, obsolete values can appear in the already translated strings, so remove the not yet translated or untranslated strings becomes useless
That logic doesn't really hold up-- just because there might be one type of stale translations does not mean that avoiding even more stale/bad/non- translations is useless.
I mean for the FR file only, as I keep it up-to-date regularly (translated and untranslated strings), each week, submitting a big patch each month. For the translation files not maintained/translated since ages (the spanish one for example), it makes absolutely sense to remove the untranslated strings.

And if a spanish wants to translate, he just has to copy/paste a full section (SPECIES PICK for example) from the EN file to the ES file... and translate directly (but he won't be able to quickly and easily compare/check the already translated spanish strings, or update them, with the original english strings).

All this makes sense, but for me with the FR file, it doesn't work at all. :p
Dilvish wrote:
Ouaz wrote:If the fr file in freeorion/master still had the same structure than the english file, it would be also so much easier to submit updates. I could pull a request directly to the master fr file.
I have an idea that might let us meet everyone's criteria, if Cj is willing to put a bit more work into his processing script(s). I think the only significant point of conflict is about untranslated entries; we don't want them in the official FR stringtable because they would block fallback to the EN stringtable, but Ouaz finds them very helpful with his translation work. If Cj adjusted his cleanup script so that it did not quite totally remove untranslated entries, but instead commented them out (both key and value) then it seems to me that both sets of concerns would be met. If there was also some concern about extra blank lines that Ouaz wanted preserved in the FR stringtable to preserve line matching to en.txt, then that can probably also be managed by using a commented line instead of a truly blank line.
I don't visualize exactly what you mean, but it can't be worse than now. :D

Whatever, I don't want to give you guys extra work (well... Cj above all), so I can deal with the actual system of file format... thinking of the good old days. :lol:

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#207 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Ouaz wrote: Whatever, I don't want to give you guys extra work (well... Cj above all), so I can deal with the actual system of file format... thinking of the good old days. :lol:
I close my PR with quites and blank lines to en.txt by mistake. Just noticed it.

If you don't mind to run script on you machine thing became more easy.

Did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9396

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#208 Post by Ouaz »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:
Ouaz wrote: Whatever, I don't want to give you guys extra work (well... Cj above all), so I can deal with the actual system of file format... thinking of the good old days. :lol:
I close my PR with quites and blank lines to en.txt by mistake. Just noticed it.
Yeah, I noticed it a few days ago too. I thought the PR was rejected (due to Dilvish wanted more clarifications about it). So far, this PR is OK for me, as I fully checked it with the full FR file (except the space typos at the end of some lines in the FR file, there are some also in the EN file).
Did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9396
Yes, but it won't work for me (then again :P ).

When I translate, I translate "in-game", i.e. Freeorion is started, and I edit my latest FR file directly in the game repository. Then I can use the "Flush Stringtables" button in the options, to check if the translation fits within the UI for example, or to see if the translation context is good (sometimes, without seeing the sentences in the game itself, it's hard to understand what it is talking about ^^)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#209 Post by MatGB »

Ouaz wrote: Yeah, I noticed it a few days ago too. I thought the PR was rejected (due to Dilvish wanted more clarifications about it). So far, this PR is OK for me, as I fully checked it with the full FR file (except the space typos at the end of some lines in the FR file, there are some also in the EN file).
One of the things about Git that's changed is you can keep editing the branch a pull request has been made from up until someone hits submit, which is quite useful as if, for example, you submit some work and no one has time to commit it, you can keep going and it can all then be committed at once.

On the other hand I have to be careful to not work on multiple things at once or create a pull from my master copy instead of from a branch for a specific new feature, but that's "learn the new way" not actually a downside really.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#210 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:If Cj adjusted his cleanup script so that it did not quite totally remove untranslated entries, but instead commented them out (both key and value) then it seems to me that both sets of concerns would be met.
That sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.