German Translation

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: German Translation

#106 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:I've corrected some orthography and grammer. Also translated a little bit (try to make some more).
That's quite a lot. This will take me some time to shift through...

Själe
Space Floater

#107 Post by Själe »

If your ready with overview, report please. Then I would refresh my repository and go on with translating. :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#108 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:If your ready with overview, report please. Then I would refresh my repository and go on with translating. :)
Ok, I'll try to keep that in mind. ;)

It will take me some time though, because currently the migration to github is the top priority, so I won't get around to it soon.

Själe
Space Floater

#109 Post by Själe »

No Problem.

So I continue translating and you write, if you have time and joy to control it. It's o.k.? :)

Then I zip the file again.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#110 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:I've corrected some orthography and grammer. Also translated a little bit (try to make some more). :)
Committed. Two things:

- I've made some edits, please compare the version I committed to the version of the file you provided to see what I changed.

- Make sure to use the current English stringtable as basis for your translation work, not the English texts contained in the German stringtable file. These are often outdated, as they don't get updated when the corresponding entries in the English stringtable are, or when entries in the English stringtable get added or deleted.

I also recommend to familiarize yourself with git, so you can provide patches instead of having to post the entire file (which also makes it easier to review and apply for us committers). You don't need to bother with subversion, as the migration to github will proceed tommorrow (unless something unforeseen happens).

Själe
Space Floater

#111 Post by Själe »

Vezzra wrote:
- Make sure to use the current English stringtable as basis for your translation work, not the English texts contained in the German stringtable file. These are often outdated, as they don't get updated when the corresponding entries in the English stringtable are, or when entries in the English stringtable get added or deleted.

I also recommend to familiarize yourself with git, so you can provide patches instead of having to post the entire file (which also makes it easier to review and apply for us committers). You don't need to bother with subversion, as the migration to github will proceed tommorrow (unless something unforeseen happens).

I think you reached my English-understanding-level. :oops:
I don't know exactly it's only a notice ore a handling guide.

But I believe there are general notes for translaters. It's possible for you note they in german again?
I also read in the de.txt some notes "... don't translate..." So I jumped over this fields before I'm mading a wrong step.

@compare versions

I know it's possible, but you migrated to git. It's compatible with the old version of repository?

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#112 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Själe wrote: @compare versions
I know it's possible, but you migrated to git. It's compatible with the old version of repository?
It is harder to describe for me then make diff. See attach.

Then git comes there will be no edited patches, just two patchs one with translate and next with update.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#113 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:I think you reached my English-understanding-level. :oops:
Kein Problem. Dann sag ich's nochmal auf Deutsch ;)

Bitte verwende die aktuelle englische String-Tabelle als Grundlage für deine Übersetzungen, nicht die unübersetzten englischen Texte, die du in der deutschen findest. Die sind nämlich oft veraltet, weil sie nicht aktualisiert werden, wenn die korrespondierenden Einträge in der englischen String-Tabelle verändert werden, oder wenn Einträge in der englischen String-Tabelle dazukommen oder gelöscht werden.

Desweiteren kann ich dir nur ans Herz legen, dich mit Git auseinanderzusetzen (ich denke, du solltest genug Tutorials auf Deutsch finden, einfach googeln), damit du in Zukunft Patches produzieren kannst, anstatt die komplette String-Tabelle zu posten (das macht es auch für uns Committer leichter, deine Arbeit zu überprüfen und ins Repo einzupflegen). Mit Subversion brauchst du dich nicht mehr auseinanderzusetzen, da die Migration zu GitHub im vollen Gang ist (bzw. sich mittlerweile sogar dem Abschluß nähert).
But I believe there are general notes for translaters. It's possible for you note they in german again?
Was meinst du? Eine Art Richtlinie für Übersetzer? Ich bin mir jetzt nicht sicher, wo die sein soll... wenn du da was Bestimmtes im Kopf hast, das du aber nicht verstehst, dann sag mir wo, und ich schau mir das an. Wenn's nicht zuviel ist, kann ich dir das eventuell übersetzen.
I also read in the de.txt some notes "... don't translate..." So I jumped over this fields before I'm mading a wrong step.
Das ist auch ganz richtig so. Wenn diese Anmerkung bei einem Eintrag steht, ist das ein sog. "funktioneller" Eintrag, den das Programm für eine bestimmte Funktionalität braucht, aber nicht um einen Text zu übersetzen. Von denen bitte die Finger lassen.
@compare versions
Nun, für den Vergleich, den ich meine, brauchen die Repos nicht "kompatibel" zu sein. Nimm einfach die de.txt Datei her, die du hier gepostet hast, dann hol dir die Version, so wie ich sie eingepflegt habe (einfach die neueste de.txt aus dem neuen Git Repo holen, sowie die Migration endlich fertig ist), und dann mit einem Diff-Programm vergleichen.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#114 Post by adrian_broher »

I would like to point out that the current string table in the master and release branch is malformed. Currently I'm unable to provide patches or write a proper issue, because my auth keyring is at home and currently inaccessible for me and the laptop is rather bare bone. If someone would be so kind to fix this I would appreciate that.

The GRO_CYBORG_DESC key should have a multi-line value. However there are too many quotes to properly enclose the value.

Currently:

Code: Select all

GRO_CYBORG_DESC
''''''Erhöht die Maximale Bevölkerung von Planeten des Typs [[PE_HOSTILE]], abhängig von deren Größe; [[SZ_TINY]]: +2, [[SZ_SMALL]]: +4, [[SZ_MEDIUM]]: +6, [[SZ_LARGE]]: +8, [[SZ_HUGE]]: +10.

A highly versatile fusion of organism and machine, capable of adapting to a tremendous variety of circumstances. Spontaneous generation of specialized organs and mechanically enhanced strength permit cyborgs to exist with ease in nearly any environment.'''
Should be:

Code: Select all

GRO_CYBORG_DESC
'''Erhöht die Maximale Bevölkerung von Planeten des Typs [[PE_HOSTILE]], abhängig von deren Größe; [[SZ_TINY]]: +2, [[SZ_SMALL]]: +4, [[SZ_MEDIUM]]: +6, [[SZ_LARGE]]: +8, [[SZ_HUGE]]: +10.

A highly versatile fusion of organism and machine, capable of adapting to a tremendous variety of circumstances. Spontaneous generation of specialized organs and mechanically enhanced strength permit cyborgs to exist with ease in nearly any environment.'''
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#115 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:If someone would be so kind to fix this I would appreciate that.
OK, done (in both branches)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#116 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:OK, done (in both branches)
Thanks
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#117 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

NO_GROUND_TROOPS was renamed to NO_DEFENCE_TROOPS in this commit https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/commit/35602667 and other troops too.

Text entries are almost same.

Vioei
Space Krill

#118 Post by Vioei »

I started just for fun on updating the german stringtable based on the latest english stringtable, comparing too with actual german stringtable. I saw it's a lot of work (many things added since last translation update, even improving actual translation and making it more animating, understanding automatic word replacement), but with time it's possible to go through in small steps and i could practise a bit on making some translation.
Is it worth to work with github on this (is it possible to contribute small parts for review, instead of posting whole file here on forums?)? Are there general conventions about translation (using latest english stringtable)? Any tips? Is there someone working on translation at the moment? :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#119 Post by Vezzra »

Vioei wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:51 pmIs it worth to work with github on this (is it possible to contribute small parts for review, instead of posting whole file here on forums?)?
Yes to all of this, it's actually the recommended/preferred way to do it. Post your contributions as pull requests on github. Small PRs are good, large PRs can be a pain to review.
Are there general conventions about translation (using latest english stringtable)? Any tips?
Cj has provided some tools/Python scripts to help managing the stringtable files - Cj? Can you chime in here?
Is there someone working on translation at the moment? :)
AFAIK, no.

PaddiLu
Space Krill

#120 Post by PaddiLu »

Two weeks ago (pretty much on a whim), I started doing some work on the german translation on my own. Made my own branch, commited translations based on the english stringtable, made decent progress.

Now I figured I'd create a pull request with what I have so far, but the Code of Conduct recommends small PRs and my work so far is more than two thousand lines long (including empty lines, but still). So I would like some advice on where to go from here.

Do I need someone's permission to make a PR? Should I split up my work so far, make a new branch and put out a series of pull requests? Or is it fine if I just put out the whole thing at once?