German Translation

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
night
Space Kraken

German Translation

#1 Post by night »

Hi,
I wanted to update the german translation but I am rather confused since there are two different string table files - de_stringtable.txt and ger_stringtable.txt.
Which one should I edit?

night

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: German Translation

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Whichever you prefer. I don't remember why there are two, but I'd guess that someone wanted to make one in a different style or using different characters (maybe ß vs ss or similar...).

schpidi
Space Floater

#3 Post by schpidi »

Hi together,

first of all, sorry for exhuming this old thread, but the title is quite convenient for my topic... ;-)

Because I like this game very much, I want to help to improve it.
As it seems that for the last versions there was not much stuff translated into german,
I told Geoff that I will have a look on it.

For the first step I analysed in detail why there was two files... (de*txt and ger*txt, each est. 150k; en-file has 300k)
There was some small differences (special characters, some different words), but also 90% overlapping.
Therefore I merged both files into a new "ger_stringtable.txt"; I tried to took for each diff the better translation from the two files. After the merge the file had est. 160k, so there is a lot of work to do ;-)

Currently I am translating all the building, technology and pedia texts.

It would be nice if there would be some german testers, who can give me some feedback.
For a lot of stuff I had to do a "word by word" translation, but sometimes that sounds bad in German.
Maybe somebody has better words for some technologies etc.

If I translated the full en-file of the current build, I will push it to the SVN.

Cheers,
schpidi

santa_klausi
Space Krill

#4 Post by santa_klausi »

I will help you.

santa_klausi
Space Krill

#5 Post by santa_klausi »

Sadfully schpidi won´t react on my PM nor here. Does anybody have the the latest German Stringtable, so i can start on myself?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If an update hasn't been posted, the latest it probably the one in SVN or that comes with test builds.

santa_klausi
Space Krill

#7 Post by santa_klausi »

Okay. I'm using the one provided by the testbuilds of nagilums repo.

If there are variables in the english stringtable which aren´t in the german I should just add them?

What does "drop player" do? Is it the same as "kick player"?

Whats about the Mark-Ships? In the current german table, they got names like "frigate", "destroyer" and so on. Should I change them to "Mark I"...?

I noted that in the English Stringtable there is two times "OPTIONS_DB_MUSIC_ON" but not "OPTIONS_DB_MUSIC_OFF". Is this intended or an error? (line 675)

One Question more related to style: In German, you can translate "you" in different ways - one is the more formal and polite, the other one the more casual and relaxed way ("Sie" or "Du", in spanish would be "usted" or "tu"). Which one would you prefer?

And some questions to other Germans:
Which translation would you prefer:
Host: Host oder Gastgeber
AI: Computerspieler, Computergegner oder KI
Client: Client, Klient oder ...?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#8 Post by Bigjoe5 »

santa_klausi wrote:One Question more related to style: In German, you can translate "you" in different ways - one is the more formal and polite, the other one the more casual and relaxed way ("Sie" or "Du", in spanish would be "usted" or "tu"). Which one would you prefer?
I think we probably want "Sie" - the player is, after all, a galactic emperor.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

santa_klausi wrote:If there are variables in the english stringtable which aren´t in the german I should just add them?
The german stringtable is probably out of date, and hasn't been updated to account for changes in the english version. By default, every string should be represented the same in both, with the same variables. You can leave out %1% style variables if it works better in german in some cases, but %planet% type ones should be consistent.
What does "drop player" do? Is it the same as "kick player"?
In the multiplayer lobby, it removes a player or AI from the lobby.
Whats about the Mark-Ships? In the current german table, they got names like "frigate", "destroyer" and so on. Should I change them to "Mark I"...?
Whatever works best in game, I suppose...
I noted that in the English Stringtable there is two times "OPTIONS_DB_MUSIC_ON" but not "OPTIONS_DB_MUSIC_OFF". Is this intended or an error? (line 675)
MUSIC and SOUND are different:

Code: Select all

OPTIONS_DB_SOUND_ON
Enables sound in the game.

OPTIONS_DB_MUSIC_ON
Enables music in the game.
In German, you can translate "you" in different ways - one is the more formal and polite, the other one the more casual and relaxed way ("Sie" or "Du", in spanish would be "usted" or "tu"). Which one would you prefer?
There probably shouldn't be any second-person references to the player in the strings, though if they're there, decide for yourself or go by what Bigjoe5 suggested.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#10 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There probably shouldn't be any second-person references to the player in the strings....
In English, I agree (though I think there may be some floating around, perhaps in the victory message, for example), but in German, I think you would typically suffix an instruction with "you" as in "Klicken Sie hier". It's also a question of how the verb is conjugated, i.e. "klicken" vs. "klickst".
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

santa_klausi wrote:And some questions to other Germans:
Which translation would you prefer:
Host: Host oder Gastgeber
Definitiv "Host". "Gastgeber" tut irgendwie in den Ohren weh, also zumindest mir... ;)
AI: Computerspieler, Computergegner oder KI
Hm, gar nicht so einfach... so aus dem Bauch raus würde ich sagen, "Computer" oder "Computerspieler". "Computer" hat den Vorteil, daß es kürzer ist.
Client: Client, Klient oder ...?
Definitiv "Client". Dasselbe wie bei "Host" ;)

santa_klausi
Space Krill

#12 Post by santa_klausi »

Thanks a lot for the tips and help, i will include them as soon as possible.
Bigjoe5 wrote: I think we probably want "Sie" - the player is, after all, a galactic emperor.
Maybe I should use "Your Greatness" then :lol:
Geoff the Medio wrote:There probably shouldn't be any second-person references to the player in the strings, though if they're there, decide for yourself or go by what Bigjoe5 suggested.
Well, in the English Table there definitively are some second-person references.
I will think more about it - this can be changed kind of easily...
Vezzra wrote: Hm, gar nicht so einfach... so aus dem Bauch raus würde ich sagen, "Computer" oder "Computerspieler". "Computer" hat den Vorteil, daß es kürzer ist.
Is it important, how long the translations are? Probably they shouldn´t be much longer so they fit in the same boxes and buttons?!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

santa_klausi wrote:Is it important, how long the translations are? Probably they shouldn´t be much longer so they fit in the same boxes and buttons?!
Exactly. The greater the difference in length, the more difficult it is to fit them in the same space.

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Length of text is much more likely to matter for fitting in the UI for one to five word long strings than for paragraph-length text.

shivu

#15 Post by shivu »

I worked a little on the German file ger_stringtable.
- Updated to svn5982
- Clear same obsolete texts
- Add new translations

I want to ask the German community their opinion concerning some German words so I allow me to write it in German.
Building wurde durch Gebäude übersetzt. Unter diesem Begriff laufen verschiedene Objekte und wenn es der Imperiale Palast bezeichnet, kann ich noch einverstanden sein. Wenn es aber um einen Orbitalen Trockendock geht, so habe ich mühe mir den als Gebäude vorzustellen. Das ist doch kein Gebäude! Bis jetzt habe ich nur Bau (Bauten)
gefunden. Was ist ihre Meinung dazu? Wer kennt etwas Besseres angeben?
Attachments
ger_stringtable.zip
(99.37 KiB) Downloaded 518 times