Re: Recent Additions

Here, various developers can tell you all about what they're up to, so you can yell at them for being idiots. "... and there was a great rejoicing."
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#1 Post by pd »

Very Nice work! You seem to be on fire lately :) I've been fascinated by the MoveTo effect since reading about it on SVN and in the wiki. Does it allow to move planets to another star?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Yes, you should be able to move planets to other stars with the MoveTo effect. Anything except a system can be moved to the location of another object, with the restrictions:
* Planets can only be moved to the location of systems (not fleets or ships between systems) that aren't full (9 planets max, including asteroid belts)
* Buildings can only be moved to the location of planets (need to specify the planet or a building on a planet, a system or a fleet or ship doesn't work)
* Systems can't be moved (as above, but again for clarity)

The MoveTo effect takes a condition parameter, which is used to specify the destination where the target objects (selected by the Source condition) is moved. This condition can refer to the Source object, but not the target object (that is being moved)... So unfortunately you can't (for example) use a distance range from the target object to limit the choice of destination objects, because you can't refer to the target object in this condition. But you can (for example) pick planets that have a particular building or special on them, or stars of a particular type or owned by or not owned by the source object's owner.

(I haven't actually tested moving planets, though...)

Josh
Graphics

#3 Post by Josh »

Does this mean "stargates" are possible now? If so, woohoo!

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Josh wrote:Does this mean "stargates" are possible now?
Should be... We'd need to figure out an appropriate condition to decide where the move a fleet to, though.

Josh
Graphics

#5 Post by Josh »

Woohoo! pretty much sums up my thoughts then. Keep up the good work.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Tortanick »

How will the client know weather colonies are advanced enough to generate supply lines, and weather other players have researched techs that extend the number of jumps in a supply line?

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

(The preceeding post by Tortanick was originally posted on my Recent Additions thread in reply to this post, but was moved here)
Tortanick wrote:How will the client know weather colonies are advanced enough to generate supply lines, and weather other players have researched techs that extend the number of jumps in a supply line?
If a player has good enough visibility of another player's planet, the first player will know the supply and construction meters' values. These determine the fleet supply and resource supply ranges, respectively. The specific techs or other effects that caused these meters to be what they are might not be known, but they don't need to be to know how far the supply lines extend.

I imagine we'll make construction / infrastructure level quite easy to see on a planet, so it should be fairly easy to see how far enemy empires can send resources, if you've seen their planets at all. Since fleet supply range should also be fairly easy to see, we'd probably want to make planets' supply meters easy to see see as well.

(For now, seeing a planet gives you full information about all its meter values.)

MrV
Space Floater

#8 Post by MrV »

Great improvements. Also - I've been wondering about this pretty much since I first downloaded FO - will fleets be able to blockade an enemy resource line?

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MrV wrote:will fleets be able to blockade an enemy resource line?
Armed ships will, as discussed in the design pad...
v0.4 Design Pad wrote:Blockades happen when a system contains a fleet or fleets that meet following requirements:
- The fleets(s) are all owned by empires with diplomatic status that allows blockades against the empire being blockaded. If an empire has an armed fleet in a system, the empire is not blockaded in that system.
- The fleet(s) contain ships that have offensive weapons.
- The fleets(s) contain ships that have sufficient detection ability to see the resource distribution ships of the empire to be blockaded. Empires with appropriate techs that make their resource distribution ships hard to detect cannot be blockaded by empires that have poor detection technology.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by Tortanick »

Geoff the Medio wrote:(The preceeding post by Tortanick was originally posted on my Recent Additions thread in reply to this post, but was moved here)
Opps, sorry about that.

kgable10
Krill Swarm

#11 Post by kgable10 »

Is it possible to have fleets belonging to different empires who are at war in the same system without them attacking eachother till all are dead?

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kgable10 wrote:Is it possible to have fleets belonging to different empires who are at war in the same system without them attacking eachother till all are dead?
That's basically what happens now for ships with weapons, although the current battle / combat system is due to be replaced with a player-interactive one.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by pd »

Is there a chance to get a new release, with all the new galaxymap goodies?

I noticed that the system circles appear around every star on the map. Has it been considered to only show them at systems (visibly) connected with starlanes? It's kind of meaningless to have them at unknown, unconnected systems, no?

Any chance to get those circles anti-aliased?

Great work!

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:Is there a chance to get a new release, with all the new galaxymap goodies?
I've been suggesting it to tzlaine, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet, apparently.
I noticed that the system circles appear around every star on the map. Has it been considered to only show them at systems (visibly) connected with starlanes? It's kind of meaningless to have them at unknown, unconnected systems, no?
I suppose that could be done... The idea is to make the clickable area clearer, but in the case of non-connected systems, there's presently no need to click them.
I'm not sure. I'll have to look into it. A quick google search suggests it's possible.

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
I'm not sure. I'll have to look into it. A quick google search suggests it's possible.
Done.
Attachments
Smoothed_Circles.png
Smoothed_Circles.png (67.76 KiB) Viewed 12021 times