kind of new here

Here, various developers can tell you all about what they're up to, so you can yell at them for being idiots. "... and there was a great rejoicing."
stpa
Space Kraken

kind of new here

#1 Post by stpa »

Hi. A long time ago (I think at least 3 years) I added that right click context menu for galactic map and nothing else and then disappeared. Now I'm back. First thing I did now was to add a column to the census report with the number of worlds, see attached screenshots. Looking foreward to adding some more little things before eventually getting bigger things done … if I do not disappear again, that is.
Attachments
with corrected number formatting, so that the numbers better align
with corrected number formatting, so that the numbers better align
with-better-number-formatting.png (162.51 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
screenshot with new census column for populated worlds and two new labels at the bottom (and with bad number formatting for big numbers as it was before)
screenshot with new census column for populated worlds and two new labels at the bottom (and with bad number formatting for big numbers as it was before)
with-bad-number-formatting.png (133.63 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
Last edited by stpa on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: kind of new here

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Great, I like it.
Time to get in touch with the @devs, submit PRs and all that stuff.

stpa
Space Kraken

#3 Post by stpa »

Yes, they did with me ^^ and of course I release the screenshots in this thread and all code & other contributions under GPL v2 (or compatible licence, at the discretion of the FreeOrion team), and I promise to use better indentation in my coding and I will comply with branch naming conventions et cetera, and thank you for liking it

stpa
Space Kraken

#4 Post by stpa »

Next thing, I did a little in-game indentation fixing in addition to indentation in the codebase. The Planet suitability report looked broken, when resizing the Pedia-window it seemed like too many tab signs \t, like in the attached screenshot. Which annoyed me, because in the official download 0.4.7.1 (build 2017-09-03.139ffd9) which I was play(test)ing before it was not broken, so I fixed it. At least for me. No idea how that gets rendered on other platforms since I've got only a mac. But I guess the devs will know how to test on multiple platforms …
Attachments
broken tabs / columns in planet suitability report
broken tabs / columns in planet suitability report
Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-14 um 19.18.01.png (178.62 KiB) Viewed 8015 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

stpa wrote:First thing I did now was to add a column to the census report with the number of worlds, see attached screenshots.
Headings indicating what the columns display would be helpful...

stpa
Space Kraken

#6 Post by stpa »

I have added the name of the planet of origin to the worldtree special's accounting label for the happiness effect on other planets, which was missing before, and I just wanted to know where the effect came from. This also has helped me to get to know how speciels and effects are handled in general.
Attachments
before the change
before the change
worldtree_accounting_label_before.png (106.24 KiB) Viewed 7972 times
with the change
with the change
worldtree_accounting_label_after.png (148.26 KiB) Viewed 7973 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

stpa wrote:I have added the name of the planet of origin to the worldtree special's accounting label for the happiness effect on other planets, which was missing before...
Yes, that's a good catch, please put up a PR for it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

stpa
Space Kraken

#8 Post by stpa »

four years later now. time to come back to this. .. i'll try to get some pull requests together

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by LienRag »

How come the first proposition was never implemented ?

(welcome back, anyway)

stpa
Space Kraken

#10 Post by stpa »

i'll get back to that. turns out, positioning the column labels was not straight forward, and … well real life got in the way, had other things to do

stpa
Space Kraken

#11 Post by stpa »

to learn my way around the project, i was looking for the easiest tickets i could find. one wanted a description for the Nymnmn and Trenchers which are now the only species without elaborate pedia description texts. this is the preexisting short description:

Planet-wide sapient magnetic waveforms.
Prefer Desert planets.
Self-Sustaining Metabolism
−−− No Industry
− Bad Influence: 75%
− Bad Population: 75%
− Bad Supply: no bonus
− Bad Defensive Ground Troops: 50%
++ Great Detection Range: +50 bonus
+ Good Planetary Stealth: +20 bonus
Cannot Produce Ships
Cannot Colonize Planets
Likes: Neutronium Extractor, Neutronium Forge, Neutronium Synthesizer, Ferric Minerals, Monopole Magnets, Positronium Ash
Dislikes: Gas Giant Generator, Solar Accelerator, Solar Orbital Generator, Spatial Distortion Generator, Eccentric Orbit, Fortress, Fractal Geodes, Gaia, Design Simplicity, Spark Fossils

from that, i made up some stuff about the Nymnmn for a pull request. here goes.

Homeworld:
Their ancestral desert world's environment possesses an extremely unlikely combination of fractally recurring storm patterns in the upper ionosphere, paired with constant static electrical discharges produced by solar tides from its neighbouring star system, which enabled the early development of self-replicating electromagnetic wavelets. These wavelets are comparable to the ancient precursors of single celled organisms and continued to evolve into more and more complex wafers over the eons. Since they can only exist in a quite narrow spectral band, there was never much room for the analogue of biodiversity – every more advanced developmental stage totally consumed its predecessors in order to be able to exist at all.

Since reproducing their native environment anywhere else is out of the question, they can never leave. Unless their entire world were to be moved, and great care taken not to interrupt the tidal-static-electric effects from its neighbouring star system.

Description:
A single Nymnmnych is hard to grasp. They blend into a cascading caccophony of self-perpetuating lightning-like electromagnetic discharges, in which an outsider can only discern a smear of blueish grizzle. Moving at the speed of light, yet bound to the ground, each and every indiviual covers the entire planetary surface several times per second. Where they meet, they briefly resonate with each other (somewhere in the low to mid terahertz range). Without corporeal form, they need to imprint their memories into the ferromagnetic portion of their planet's crust. Any mining or mechanical activities would impair or even destroy their racial memories, which is why they refrain from industry.

Daily lives:
Today's nymnmnian society is mainly preoccupied with reviewing and rating, archiving and cataloguing old tv shows and other entertainment broadcasts from foreign civilizations. They can not do otherwise, because those broadcasts touch the very essence of their beings – all their life is a non-stop binge-watching marathon if they want to or not. In consequence, they are the absolute masters of movie mockery in all the galaxies.

and then i added PANOPTICON_SPECIAL to their Likes to be more consistent with that new pedia lore.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#12 Post by Ophiuchus »

Love the tv binge watching.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by LienRag »

Since you're keen on solving minor issues, may I interest you in this ?

stpa
Space Kraken

#14 Post by stpa »

LienRag wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:12 pm Minor pet peeve : can someone implement the ctrl+I shortcut to open (and close) the Influence panel (from my experience this shortcut is not used for anything as of now) ?
i can have a look see, sure why not - is there a ticket number?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by LienRag »

stpa wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 pm i can have a look see, sure why not - is there a ticket number?
Not that I know of.