Crash [5872]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Crash [5872]

#1 Post by AndrewW »

FreeOrion server waiting for network events
Segmentation fault
freeorion.zip
(54.89 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
freeoriond.zip
(147.86 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Crash [5872]

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Care to give any info about what you were doing just prior to the crash? It kind of looks like you were merging fleets or something like that. Hard to figure much out without any other info.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:Care to give any info about what you were doing just prior to the crash? It kind of looks like you were merging fleets or something like that. Hard to figure much out without any other info.
Yup, was merging and moving some fleets at the time.

Have left the game alone since in case any other information needs to be retrieved.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

ok well if you can think of any more detail to give that might be helpful -- how many ships moving from what size fleet, etc.

I'd also suggest making a copy of the save file & try repeating the process & see if you get the same crash. If a crash is not repeatable it's much harder to track down. If it is repeatable, you could post the savegame with instructions on how to repeat the crash.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#5 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:ok well if you can think of any more detail to give that might be helpful -- how many ships moving from what size fleet, etc.
Well, the fleet sizes vary a bit, not sure exactly which fleets I was merging/moving at the time...
Dilvish wrote:I'd also suggest making a copy of the save file & try repeating the process & see if you get the same crash. If a crash is not repeatable it's much harder to track down. If it is repeatable, you could post the savegame with instructions on how to repeat the crash.
Was planning on playing with the autosave file to see if it could be repeated. Just letting it alone right now in case something else that might be helpful gets overwritten.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#6 Post by Bigjoe5 »

AndrewW wrote:Was planning on playing with the autosave file to see if it could be repeated. Just letting it alone right now in case something else that might be helpful gets overwritten.
As far as I know, everything that might be helpful is in the AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion directory, or whatever the equivalent is for your OS, so just zipping up that directory and saving it should be enough to prevent anything important from getting overwritten.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

No luck so far with getting another crash. Repeatable crashes are much nicer...

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#8 Post by qsswin »

Oh yeah, the fleet-dragging bug again :lol:
Try dragging ~4 fleets from low down in the fleet window to the "New fleet" button, I think that worked once for me to reproduce it?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

qsswin wrote:Oh yeah, the fleet-dragging bug again :lol:
Try dragging ~4 fleets from low down in the fleet window to the "New fleet" button, I think that worked once for me to reproduce it?
Nope, didn't do anything (other then work). Tried a bunch of random dragging around to no avail.