Odd Crash

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Nighthawk
Space Squid

Odd Crash

#1 Post by Nighthawk »

Well, this is an odd crash:

The number of AI players determine the number of error boxes :( Am I missing a dependency?
As a side note, is the 500 stars setting either playable or recommended?

Also: I'm so excited to see this project finally maturing. I remember hearing about this 10 years ago... back when I was in 3rd grade. Actually, if you're bored, dig around old posts and see if you can find my old account. I was such a noob then...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Odd Crash

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What version of FreeOrion and Windows are you running?

Have you tried running windowed instead of (apparently) fullscreen?

There might be firewall issues.

Do you have Python installed? What version? It shouldn't matter, but weird things happen.

Are there any .log files in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion ? freeoriond.log and AI_1.log would be most important. If so, please zip and attach them to a reply.

500 star games will probably bog down after 100+ turns to arguably unplayable delays between turns or in response to UI actions.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Have you tried running windowed instead of (apparently) fullscreen?
Hmmm, maybe odd resolution on the screenshot for full screen.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#4 Post by Nighthawk »

I've tried Windowed mode too.
I'm running Windows 7, and the latest (0.4.2) version of Free Orion.

I have python installed, and, in fact, that was the first thing I thought was the problem, so I went ahead and installed the latest version along size Python 2.

Log is attached.
Attachments
FreeOrionLog.zip
(94.17 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Nighthawk wrote:Log is attached.
looks like you are missing the player log "freeorion.log" from that set of logs, which is likely to be the critical one (you had a bunch of AI logs and the server log "freeoriond.log")
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#6 Post by Nighthawk »

Dilvish wrote:
looks like you are missing the player log "freeorion.log" from that set of logs, which is likely to be the critical one (you had a bunch of AI logs and the server log "freeoriond.log")
Well, he didn't ask for that, but here we go:
Attachments
freeorionlog2.zip
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

Nighthawk wrote:
Dilvish wrote:
Well, he didn't ask for that, but here we go:
Yes, I'm sorry, I had looked over the logs and nothing jumped out, and saw the one was missing. From your cited problem I can see why Geoff expected the others to be most important, and indeed I didn't get any clues from the extra one you've posted now. I don't see any indication of the problem in the log files, I guess we'll see if anyone else does...
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#8 Post by Nighthawk »

Ok. If it helps, the program DOES run even with the error messages, but as the processes are different threads, I'm pretty sure the AI will be dumb as a rock.

Dilvish

#9 Post by Dilvish »

Nighthawk wrote:Ok. If it helps, the program DOES run even with the error messages, but as the processes are different threads, I'm pretty sure the AI will be dumb as a rock.
In the log files, some of the AIs had completed their first turn orders just fine, though some were closed out before completing. Looks to me like it's worth trying to play it out & see how it goes.

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The various posted log files appear to have been generated at significantly different times. Are they all consistent with what's generated on a single play through?

The posted logs, or at least the ones I skimmed, it does look like things are working fine with the AIs...

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#11 Post by Nighthawk »

The later log files are from different playthoughs, I guess I'll try playing to see. Is there a way to check if the AI is running? (eg, through task manager?)

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You can look for freeorionca.exe processes getting nonzero cpu after ending turns, or watch the Empires list after ending turns for a flash of playing turn symbols instead of waiting ellipses. You can also right click on the empires list to propose peace with an AI; if it's active, it will accept and the symbol at the left will change to a peace symbol.
Attachments
Empires List
Empires List
AIs_Playing_Turns.png (15.42 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#13 Post by Nighthawk »

Look likes it's working then. Awesome! Wonder what the crashes mean..

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

A bit of googling suggests it's a DLL error of some sort. Possibly your system has something in its path variable that leads to a slightly incompatible version of the Visual C++ runtime libraries being loaded before the ones that ship with the FreeOrion installer. Possibly it's Python related, since it's only happening with the AIs... possibly it's loading your installed Python dll rather than the one that comes with FO, and the installed one has some dependency on a different MSVC runtime version... Just guessing about that, though.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#15 Post by Nighthawk »

That's really quite bizzare, but it doesn't seem to be affecting much. I think your logic makes sense- it loads an incompatible C library then loads the ones that shipped with Free Orion. Eh, I won't worry about it much now.