Is there support for Windows 8?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

steveadams14
Space Krill

Is there support for Windows 8?

#1 Post by steveadams14 »

I have the Windows 8 consumer preview, and FreeOrion crashes every time I try to click anything in it. Also, the main menu has white squares instead of text. I don't expect such a new OS to have support, but is there a fix?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Is there support for Windows 8?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

At least part of your problems sound like video driver issues. Try updating them. Since Windows 8 is not released yet, they might not be available for it, though.

steveadams14
Space Krill

#3 Post by steveadams14 »

Yeah, it now crashes on startup, so I guess Win8 is just being annoying and incompatible, time to try it with ubuntu...

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

steveadams14 wrote:now crashes on startup
You might have a look for the freeorion.log and ogre.log files from after a crash. I don't know where these would be located in Windows 8, but in Windows 7 they're in Users\YourLoginName\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion

Do those file exist, and if so, what do they contain?

steveadams14
Space Krill

#5 Post by steveadams14 »

Here are both of those files. I am not sure what they mean though.
Attachments
ogre.log
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
freeorion.log
(1010 Bytes) Downloaded 95 times

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Well, first thing I notice is that your OpenGL version is 1.1. Welcome to 1998 or so. There's little chance FreeOrion would run with that low OpenGL support, so you'll definitely want to find newer, or at least better, video drivers.

steveadams14
Space Krill

#7 Post by steveadams14 »

Ah, that is a good idea, I will look into that, I guess I just did not realize that a computer that came with Windows 7 would have drivers so old.

steveadams14
Space Krill

#8 Post by steveadams14 »

Your suggestion fixed it, thank you!

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Is there any way that we could deal with the FO Right mouse click on a Windows 8 touch screen?

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dealing with interfaces that lack right click is possible, but would require a lot of code rewriting. Presently, lots of things have functions that respond to right clicks. They would need to be modified to also respond to some other user action. One option is left clicks (or just clicks or taps, I suppose) plus the shift, ctrl, or alt keys.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#11 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Dealing with interfaces that lack right click is possible, but would require a lot of code rewriting. Presently, lots of things have functions that respond to right clicks. They would need to be modified to also respond to some other user action. One option is left clicks (or just clicks or taps, I suppose) plus the shift, ctrl, or alt keys.
What about a click-and-hold type of deal...or have a mini menu pop up?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by eleazar »

I wonder if a tablet could run FO in a non-painful way.

It probably will happen before we're done with FO, so it's something to keep in mind.

But to make a good touch app you need to rethink the UI interactions, not just swap out the right click for something else.

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The only things that require right clicks now, or at least that come to mind, are fleet move ordering, and popup menus for scrapping and renaming. Fleet movement could be reworked as a drag-drop action, and scrapping or renaming could have buttons added. Scrollwheels for zooming are useful, but could be replaced with pinch or spread gestures. That all said, I have no idea how or if GG would handle such events.