Mineral Special Problem

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Darkspire
Space Floater

Mineral Special Problem

#1 Post by Darkspire »

FO ver: 0.4 [SVN4635] MSVC 2010

I spent hours trying to find the outpost module, ended up posting on here to find it.
Colonised a huge tundra in the same system for the purpose of building a decent shipyard, terraformed and then turned the terran into a gaia planet ... Right, planet and shipyard done and the research for the outpost is completed, built my first outpost ship and sent it off to the radiated planet with the mineral bonus (Im on turn 380+ with about 20+ decent planets and 5-8 starting so things are a little slow betwen turns) Outpost built ...

And this happens ...

PMSL

Is this intended or is this a bug? Is there any way to get the bonus? Like terraforming or some other tech?

Thanks

Darkspire

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Mineral Special Problem

#2 Post by Vezzra »

AFAIK this is intended. You can't use all foci on outposts, at least not without researching certain techs. To enable the mining focus for outposts I think you need to research "orbital mining" IIRC.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Vezzra wrote:AFAIK this is intended. You can't use all foci on outposts, at least not without researching certain techs. To enable the mining focus for outposts I think you need to research "orbital mining" IIRC.
^This.

Also, FYI, the necessary tech for asteroid belts is Asteroid Mining. Also, terraforming the planet to an EP which your species can colonize, researching a tech that allows your species to colonize less habitable planets, or using a species that prefers radiated planets to colonize would allow you to use the mining focus as well, since all those things would make the planet a full-blown colony instead of an outpost.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by unjashfan »

...using a species that prefers radiated planets to colonize would allow you to use the mining focus as well, since all those things would make the planet a full-blown colony instead of an outpost.
I once tried to save the need for terraforming by invading a native population, then building a shipyard on it and tried to produce colony ships with the natives. It didn't work out (I think the game wouldn't even let me make a colony ship). Is it possible to do that, or is it because certain natives can't colonize other planets?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

unjashfan wrote:...is it because certain natives can't colonize other planets?
Some species can't make ships, and some can't make colony ships. This information is indicated in the pedia entry for each species.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
unjashfan wrote:...is it because certain natives can't colonize other planets?
Some species can't make ships, and some can't make colony ships. This information is indicated in the pedia entry for each species.
I would be nicer if this information could pop up in the production tooltip for that item:

[FAIL] Source species is able to construct ships.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dart00_Tech wrote:I would be nicer if this information could pop up in the production tooltip for that item:

[FAIL] Source species is able to construct ships.
That, and the need to have a building type or all components of a ship design unlocked.

There's no shortage of missing features in FO.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#8 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Geoff the Medio wrote:need to have a building type or all components of a ship design unlocked.
Oh ya...that too! :mrgreen:

[FAIL]: All Required Techs Are Researched For Construction.

And I wouldn't say "That" many features are missing, the tool tip features is already there, It just needs to be refined.

It just seems like the features that already exist just need to be refined to make the game more playable before new ones are added, and yet the goals of .4 are to add new features rather then making important much needed refinements in existing features.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by eleazar »

Dart00_Tech wrote:It just seems like the features that already exist just need to be refined to make the game more playable before new ones are added, and yet the goals of .4 are to add new features rather then making important much needed refinements in existing features.
0.4 is done. We're now working toward 0.5.
What exactly 0.5 will consist of isn't entirely determined, but bug fixes and refinements are always a major focus of development.

See the top paragraph of the Roadmap:
  • "The development and refinement of content is assumed to be ongoing. So while the "Tech Tree" is listed under "completed", it is assumed that techs will be created and modified as new parts of the game are added. Buildings, ships, species, monsters and any other content will probably be continually created, removed, and/or refined as development progresses."