circular star lanes in 0.3.15

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

grancher
Space Krill

circular star lanes in 0.3.15

#1 Post by grancher »

Star lanes seem to be appearing as little circles around the star systems, when I change the star lane color in options that's all that changes, but ships move and resource supply lines work.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: circular star lanes in 0.3.15

#2 Post by eleazar »

grancher wrote:Star lanes seem to be appearing as little circles around the star systems, when I change the star lane color in options that's all that changes, but ships move and resource supply lines work.
You mean like in this screenshot?
http://www.freeorion.org/images/a/ab/Fr ... xy_Map.png

Those aren't star lanes. Think of them as the boundary (obviously not to scale, like everything else on the galaxy map) between in system and out of system.

The main benefit is that it is easier to see how close a fleet is to arriving at a system. When they reach the circle they are now "in". Instead of calculating distance from the center of the star (as did some of the MoOs) which can lead to a confusing pileup of fleet icons which haven't quite arrived on top of the star .

If you don't like the circles there was an option to turn them off.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: circular star lanes in 0.3.15

#3 Post by pd »

As I understand it, you don't actually see starlanes? Please see this recent thread.