r3917

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

r3917

#1 Post by pd »

Some things I've noticed:

1. Tooltips in menu screens are way to high, with a low delay(which I like) this keeps getting in the way.
2. There are some issues with font alignment in drop down lists.
3. Panning and zooming on the research screen(now without graphvis?) will result in it sticking to the top left corner. Some techs will be hidden, even when the encyclopedia panel is relocated. Navigating the screen is quite slow as well.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: r3917

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The research screen issues are known and a result of removing all Graphviz stuff.

I hadn't noticed the droplist or tooltip issues, though am seeing them on both the MSVC 2008 and MSVC 2010 versions. I suspect these are bugs with GiGi related to recent changes.

Wulfston
Space Floater

New patch

#3 Post by Wulfston »

Ok, i was rather excited to see a new patch come up so once i got it working there was several things i noticed.

Deep Space- A good idea and I like it. However, there is way, WAY to much of it. After about 20 turns of exploring around my starting star, about 80% of them all was deep space.

Supply lines- It's a bit confusing to me now. It used to be wherever the blue lines where that was the extent of your supply line to keep ships refueled. But now that's not the case. It was easier to understand and keep tract of before.

Random galaxy maps- I dunno if this is a feature that's going to be in in the future, but whenever I start a new game on the same galaxy type, it's the same exact galaxy every time.

That's all for now, the other features that I have seen so far look great.
Last edited by pd on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged into this thread

Geoff the Medio

Re: New patch

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Wulfston wrote:Deep Space- A good idea and I like it. However, there is way, WAY to much of it. After about 20 turns of exploring around my starting star, about 80% of them all was deep space.
The numbers need tweaking, and should probably be available as a setting in the galaxy setup screen.
Supply lines- It's a bit confusing to me now. It used to be wherever the blue lines where that was the extent of your supply line to keep ships refueled. But now that's not the case. It was easier to understand and keep tract of before.
I think there are some bugs with supply that have magically appeared at some point. I don't think there were any intentional changes to how fleet supply propegation worked recently...
Random galaxy maps- I dunno if this is a feature that's going to be in in the future, but whenever I start a new game on the same galaxy type, it's the same exact galaxy every time.
There is a compile switch to turn on or off repeatable randomness in galaxy generation. Currently it's set to be reproducible to make debugging much easier. If you want a different galaxy, try adding or removing one system before starting a new game.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

Wulfston wrote: Supply lines- It's a bit confusing to me now. It used to be wherever the blue lines where that was the extent of your supply line to keep ships refueled. But now that's not the case. It was easier to understand and keep tract of before.
There's resource supply(the thick lines) and there's fleet supply(the dotted lines). Naturally, fleet supply should extent further out than resource supply, which it didn't in some versions in the past.
How it is now is what it's meant to be like.

Wulfston
Space Floater

#6 Post by Wulfston »

pd wrote: There's resource supply(the thick lines) and there's fleet supply(the dotted lines). Naturally, fleet supply should extent further out than resource supply, which it didn't in some versions in the past.
How it is now is what it's meant to be like.
Ah ok...that makes more sense. But there's a problem with that as well. I've been watching my fuel as I've been exploring. Now if I understand the numbers right, the starting fleet supply line is 5 starlanes away from your starting star.

Now, moving outside of those "little blue dotted lines" you will start to consume fuel. However, once you go BACK into the dotted lines, your fuel only regens at 0.1 per turn when your not moving. Now you can still move as much as you want while still inside the dotted lines. But since your fuel isn't being refilled to max while inside the fleet supply you can't move OUT of the dotted lines again untill you sit there and regen fuel. I'm sure that's a bug just wanted to say something about it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

It seems you have to hold position for the duration of 1 turn in a system, that is supplied with fuel, for a ship to fully recharge. I don't quite remember, if this is intentional.

Wulfston
Space Floater

#8 Post by Wulfston »

Ok so...I did a rather small galaxy just to see how everything was working.

Combat seemed to be going ok. Although I had thought it was going to be more active combat rather then automatic.

I got the hang of the fleet supply range and ship refueling. Will there be more things later on to add more fleet supply range?

Three things are really bugging me though.

1) That Deep space wasn't what I thought originally. Deep space actually TAKES THE PLACE of star systems that would have been in there before. So in the 50 system galaxy I made....I really only had 12 systems with stars and planets...a bit boring......

2) There's still a problem with the Imperial Palaces. When I fought and killed an enemy planet that had his Palace, both his AND mine got destroyed.

3) The AI is good at building more ships, but he's not moving them. The colony and outpost ships only do planets or astroids in their starting system. Also, the AI doesn't seem to be building new buildings at all. I dunno if that's supposed to be like that for now or not, but just thought I would mention it.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Wulfston wrote:Will there be more things later on to add more fleet supply range?
Likely yes. The content (buildings, techs, ship parts, etc.) aren't finalized yet.
1) That Deep space wasn't what I thought originally. Deep space actually TAKES THE PLACE of star systems that would have been in there before. So in the 50 system galaxy I made....I really only had 12 systems with stars and planets...a bit boring......
Just start a game with 150 systems then... Or try editing universe_tables.txt to decrease the BaseStarTypeDist entry for NoStar (as I've already done since the version you're using).
2) There's still a problem with the Imperial Palaces. When I fought and killed an enemy planet that had his Palace, both his AND mine got destroyed.
Indeed.
3) The AI is good at building more ships, but he's not moving them. The colony and outpost ships only do planets or astroids in their starting system. Also, the AI doesn't seem to be building new buildings at all. I dunno if that's supposed to be like that for now or not, but just thought I would mention it.
The AI scripts are definitely incomplete.