Game crashes

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

satanicusmaximus
Space Krill

Game crashes

#1 Post by satanicusmaximus »

whilst creating galaxy.

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

Re: Game crashes

#2 Post by General_Zaber »

And the world is round.

Seriously though, more detail please?
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There are a variety of possible reasons. These might depend on the version of FreeOrion you're running, your operating system and your graphics card. Please attach, in a zip file, the log files from the directory containing config.xml on your system, which is discussed here:

http://freeorion.org/index.php/Config.xml

satanicusmaximus
Space Krill

#4 Post by satanicusmaximus »

I'm running version 0.3.13 on windows xp home with an ATI Radeon Xpress adaptor 1150. Attached is the requested, zipped Config.xml file
Attachments
config.zip
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

Geoff asked for the log files from the directory the config.xml is in, not for the config.xml itself.

satanicusmaximus
Space Krill

#6 Post by satanicusmaximus »

pd wrote:Geoff asked for the log files from the directory the config.xml is in, not for the config.xml itself.
So he did. What are the log files?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

Everything, that has a .log extension.
  • freeorion.log
    freeoriond.log
    ogre.log

satanicusmaximus
Space Krill

#8 Post by satanicusmaximus »

pd wrote:Everything, that has a .log extension.
  • freeorion.log
    freeoriond.log
    ogre.log
I dont see any files with the log extension in this folder allthough the three exaples you listed appear as txt documents. Attached are these txt documents
Attachments
My logs.zip
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

satanicusmaximus wrote:I dont see any files with the log extension in this folder allthough the three exaples you listed appear as txt documents. Attached are these txt documents
The files you posted are all .log files, not .txt.

Anyway, your client dies when trying to set up map rendering. You appear to have OpenGL 2.0, so this code should work, but for some reason it's not. Try going into options, galaxy map tab, and disabling fog of war scanlines, optimized system rendering, galaxy map gas rendering, and galaxy map starfields rendering, and then starting a new game. If that works, you can try re-enabling these individually to see if they a) work and b) work with reasonable frame rates, which may depend on your specific graphics hardware.

You do have an ATI card though, which have been known to have some unfixable problems, unfortunately. I can't say from the log whether this will affect you, so try the disabling options suggestion...

satanicusmaximus
Space Krill

#10 Post by satanicusmaximus »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
satanicusmaximus wrote:I dont see any files with the log extension in this folder allthough the three exaples you listed appear as txt documents. Attached are these txt documents
The files you posted are all .log files, not .txt.

Anyway, your client dies when trying to set up map rendering. You appear to have OpenGL 2.0, so this code should work, but for some reason it's not. Try going into options, galaxy map tab, and disabling fog of war scanlines, optimized system rendering, galaxy map gas rendering, and galaxy map starfields rendering, and then starting a new game. If that works, you can try re-enabling these individually to see if they a) work and b) work with reasonable frame rates, which may depend on your specific graphics hardware.

You do have an ATI card though, which have been known to have some unfixable problems, unfortunately. I can't say from the log whether this will affect you, so try the disabling options suggestion...
Tried that. Seems to get to freezing a bit quicker now. You want the log files again?

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

satanicusmaximus wrote:You want the log files again?
Yes.

satanicusmaximus
Space Krill

#12 Post by satanicusmaximus »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
satanicusmaximus wrote:You want the log files again?
Yes.
I fixed my problem by downloading the latest graphics drivers for my hardware. The game now creates galaxys without freezing. Thanks for the help.