Unexplained oddities with Bombardment

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Mithlas
Space Krill

Unexplained oddities with Bombardment

#1 Post by Mithlas »

FreeOrion has an extensive internal pedia, but fails to explain many things. Through trial and error it looks like I have to bring a fleet capable of bombardment and leave it in the enemy system for one turn before the option to Bombard appears. Then I can only bombard 1 planet even if I invaded with a fleet of 99 battleships with the appropriate bombardment weapons, which is a strange way of handling it when Troop invasions only require more troop strength than the defenders.

However, there are 4 bombardment weapons that correlate to metabolic types and those don't cover all of the alien types. I find it strange that there's no simple "nuclear bomb drop" or kinetic kill weapon like dropping tungsten rods. Because of this, some races like the Trith (due to "self-sustaining metabolism") are completely immune to Bombardment. Their description and strategic value change a lot because of that factor, fleets need to win AND a massive troop drop is necessary to seize control of their planets AND because they're xenophobic the simplest method of dealing with them is wiping them out by construction of concentration camps.

It would be nice if the major races at play could be set at game creation to either play against one's favourite challenges, or to block out problematic species like Trith that are always aggressive but don't allow the firepower solutions all the other races do.

If it makes any difference, Win64 FreeOrion v0.4.10.2 [build 2021-08-01]

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Unexplained oddities with Bombardment

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Aside from what you comment, bombardment UI is supposed to be broken, not allowing to bombard two turns in a row (the button does not appear).
Mithlas wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:51 am I can only bombard 1 planet even if I invaded with a fleet of 99 battleships with the appropriate bombardment weapons, which is a strange way of handling it when Troop invasions only require more troop strength than the defenders.
If you select a subset of ships, the bombardment button should only use those ships for the action and the rest should be available to bombard other planets in the same system and turn.

I find it strange that there's no simple "nuclear bomb drop" or kinetic kill weapon like dropping tungsten rods.
+1
I think this should be added, or (and I like this more) allow any kind of planetary attack to reduce population, just much slower than using bombardment.

Mithlas
Space Krill

Re: Unexplained oddities with Bombardment

#3 Post by Mithlas »

If you select a subset of ships, the bombardment button should only use those ships for the action and the rest should be available to bombard other planets in the same system and turn.
Thank you for that detail, I was thinking it only allowed separate bomb orders for separate fleets, which was the work-around I'd been using for races I could bomb. That should be noted somewhere in the Pedia, as it's useful for understanding how to control the game.