FreeOrion for blind or vision-impaired people

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

LibreFaso
Space Krill

Re: FreeOrion for blind or vision-impaired people

#16 Post by LibreFaso »

Grummel7 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:30 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:03 am but the main point is that the current client is probably completely useless for blind people. but i may be wrong, image analysis software etc may help
I wouldn't say so. Using the normal client, a seeing person could assist while learning the game. Also, once they mastered it, it may be cool to show their seeing friends what they do.

As a rough idea for the interface:
  • Game should also run in full-screen mode, so that it can't lose the focus.
  • A hotkey opens a window that take all keyboard input and allows typing in commands
  • Feedback will be given by voice or possibly also via braille.

That may be an idea, yes.
The ABPAM has a new high school that teaches seeing and blind kids (not deaf ones, that was a misunderstanding from my part; apparently the ABPAM lady was explaining to me how blind and deaf beggars work in pair, not how their students - who are not sent to beg - are paired).
So once we can provide them computers (the ABPAM center has a computer room, but not the high school as of now) it probably will be possible to put FreeOrion on it; being able to play with the help of seeing friends should motivate those who like the game to find a way to play it alone, which means working on its accessibility.

It's a middle and long-term project though.