FreeOrion on low-performance computer

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

FreeOrion on low-performance computer

#1 Post by LienRag »

What type of single-player freeorion game can I expect to run on an old computer with 1 or 2 Gb of RAM and a dual-core CPU ?
Does it make a difference if I run it on a Windows or a Debian XFCE one ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: FreeOrion on low-performance computer

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Difference between 1 and 2 GB will be huge.
Default settings + few autosaves in binary should be playable with 2 GB, better in a low req linux distrib that takes up little RAM.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by ThinkSome »

Freeorion is using 440 MB RAM and 25% of a core on 7 year old desktop (64bit) running the 19th game.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:24 pm Difference between 1 and 2 GB will be huge.
Default settings + few autosaves in binary should be playable with 2 GB, better in a low req linux distrib that takes up little RAM.
Thanks !

I brought old 1 Gb DDR2 RAM so I should be able to get 2 Gb (I didn't check but I hope that the RAM on the computer is DDR2).
I plan to install Debian with XFCE (maybe add OpenBox as an option, but it's quite a steep learning curve for newbies). I know it works with 2 Gb.
I could use antiX (Slitaz seems abandoned) but it's a demonstration computer, so better to put a common distribution.

About the autosaves, I need to change the settings to one autosave every ten turns (and binary saves) ?
Or different settings ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:58 am About the autosaves, I need to change the settings to one autosave every ten turns (and binary saves) ?
Or different settings ?
You could try with default settings and only increase turns between saves if you find yourself having to wait after pressing turn.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

OK, so the Linux installation crashed half-way, and installing FreeOrion on windows 7pro I got an error that crashed the installation too (missing Vsomething thingy, I'll be more precise if I can try again and get the same error).

Also, only one computer used the same RAMs that I brought, so if I want to also use the others, what can I do with 1 Gb of RAM ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

ThinkSome wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:22 pm Freeorion is using 440 MB RAM and 25% of a core on 7 year old desktop (64bit) running the 19th game.
Is that the client or the server ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:07 am
ThinkSome wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:22 pm Freeorion is using 440 MB RAM and 25% of a core on 7 year old desktop (64bit) running the 19th game.
Is that the client or the server ?
ThinkSome's client.
Add to that whatever the server is using, plus whatever the SO is using, and you probably need >1GB but GB should suffice.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:06 am OK, so the Linux installation crashed half-way, and installing FreeOrion on windows 7pro I got an error that crashed the installation too (missing Vsomething thingy, I'll be more precise if I can try again and get the same error).
Latest FO versions need Windows 8.1.

What linux distrib did you try? I've used kubuntu and xubuntu in the past for crampy rigs. If your CPU is 32 bits, there are x/kubuntu versions that support it until 18.04 IIRC (can search for them in old isos folders).

LienRag wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:06 am Also, only one computer used the same RAMs that I brought, so if I want to also use the others, what can I do with 1 Gb of RAM ?
Sorry, I don't understand. You are trying with different old computers and some can use the new RAM but the others not? Or what?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 am Sorry, I don't understand. You are trying with different old computers and some can use the new RAM but the others not? Or what?
Yes, that's it.
I'm trying to upgrade a classroom in a high school.
Apparently I brought DDR 3 and all but one of the computers use DDR2.

About the Linux distribution, I have many ISOs but most failed; not sure if the multiboot key is the problem or the ISOs themselves.
I was able to launch a Debian Mate ISO in live session, but the installation crashed at the "grub installation" part.

I need to test again, I'll try to do it this week.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

At my job they are getting rid of a few "old" computers.
Dell Optiplex 360 I think they were. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb of RAM in some of them (cannibalized). Tomorrow I'll check what I can get, take a picture of the RAM sticks and send it to you. Maybe I can send you a few GB, dunno yet for sure (maybe they were already disposed off).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by LienRag »

Thank you, I believe some of the classroom computers are actually Dell Optiplex 360, so I guess the RAM should be compatible.
Not sure you can send the RAM and have it arrive in time, though.
Where are you located (you can answer in PM if you'd rather) ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:49 am Where are you located ?
Spain.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by LienRag »

I did install a second Debian 11 computer (with 1 Go of RAM) and Wesnoth works on it but FreeOrion has a segmentation fault after telling me that the OpenGL library is too old and that it requires at least version 2.0.

Doesn't the FreeOrion debian package checks this ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by LienRag »

I only have three days left to fix that, so it would be useful if I could get some help...
Actually, the only way I can be sure to teach the kids that will use the computer(s)¹ how to play FreeOrion is if I can fix that today (because this afternoon I will see them, later it's not certain).

¹ I'm supposed to install more, but there's a BIOS password that nobody knows, so not sure that I'll be able to remove it.