Can't invade enemy planets

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Caskuda
Space Krill

Can't invade enemy planets

#1 Post by Caskuda »

I am currently running the version v0.4.10.2 from the Ubuntu appstore.

I am facing a problem, where i can't invade enemy planets.
It seems, that the "invade"-button just shows up randomly.
I have enough firepower to take the shields down, and enough troops.
Ships have enough structure to survive mines too.
The enemy is hostile.

However after my fleet spends one turn in the enemy system all the shields on enemy planets are untouched and there didnt happend a fight with enemy ships aswell. I just get the notification, that i took damage from mines in the system.

Could it be a bug?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Can't invade enemy planets

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Could you post some screenshots? Does combat trigger anyway? What is the composition of your fleet? Is the planet visible?

If it is not a bug (probably isn't, no one reported this), the culprit could be that the planet was hidden ("seen last time on turn X"), or that your fleet was set to not attack (there's a toggle to set different levels of aggressiveness, and sometimes, when merging or rearranging fleets that include unarmed ships, the new fleets can end up with a non-aggressive setting and pass unnoticed to the player), or doesn't have the right weapons to attack planets (arc disruptor and some fighters can't shoot at planets)...

Caskuda
Space Krill

#3 Post by Caskuda »

Thanks for the hints.

I have been building a couple of high structure ships with scanners and added those to the fleets + toggled the mode of the fleet a couple of times.
It was originally agressive, however both together solved the problem.

In the System-view, the enemies planes have all been visibile.
Besides that, is there some information, that shows which kind of detection i need in general?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

Caskuda wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:23 pm I have been building a couple of high structure ships with scanners and added those to the fleets + toggled the mode of the fleet a couple of times.
The scanner ships should/could not have made a difference. All your ships and planets have the same detection strength (depending on your tech). They have different detection range though.
Caskuda wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:23 pm In the System-view, the enemies planes have all been visibile.
Probably they were invisible anyway, you detected them once (e.g. by the found-of-old maps event) but did not have enough detection strength and just had a sensor ghost. The ghosts look different from actual visible planets (hence we asked for a screenshot) and a mouse-over reveals some details.
Caskuda wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:23 pm Besides that, is there some information, that shows which kind of detection i need in general?
Most of the monsters are visible with the first detection tech. Sometimes you have ghosts, then you know you need more detection strength. Same if you get attacked by invisible ships.

First detection tech is really important - not only for detection strength but also for detection range.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

There was a bug in 4.10 stable where planets with base weapons and shields (most natives) you'd knock down shields and move in troops, then the shields would regen 1. You'd have to go through another combat round before you could invade. I'd think that would have been fixed by 4.10.2 though.

Grab a few screenshots and post them. That's generally the most help.