Game won't let me use a very specific combination of laser weapon and plate.

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

truepurple
Space Kraken

Game won't let me use a very specific combination of laser weapon and plate.

#1 Post by truepurple »

V4.10

So I researched laser and have standard armor plating.

So I update the premade cruiser two be two lasers and plate, the game accepts this and it's fine. I build a couple cruisers with two lasers and a plate. But then the next cruiser I add is two mass drivers and a plate.

So I go into design and set two lasers and a plate, but the option to Update finished design is grayed out. Now I can do three lasers, or one laser, a mass driver or flak gun and a plate and I can update the design just fine, but two lasers and a plate? Forget about it! I also tried making new through the hull tab and just like with the Finished tab, the "Add finished Design" button grays out if I do two lasers and a plate.

Now for the internal slot, if I have nothing there, or if I have extra fuel tank, I can not do two lasers and a plate, but if I put anything else in that slot (though I don't want anything else there!) I can do two lasers and a plate.

This very strange bug I have never seen before seems to be particular to this very game, what information might I provide that I can help you determine what might be going on?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Game won't let me use a very specific combination of laser weapon and plate.

#2 Post by LienRag »

Current situation when such thing arise is that you already have a ship of the same design.

truepurple
Space Kraken

Re: Game won't let me use a very specific combination of laser weapon and plate.

#3 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 pm Current situation when such thing arise is that you already have a ship of the same design.
Oops, I actually thought to mention this in my OP but forgot. I did think of this, and there is no such existing design. I have very carefully looked over the short list of existing designs(before posting OP), and I do not see two designs like this (it would have to be two since it rejects it with and without extra fuel)

Nor do I see these ships as build options.

Also don't forget the game automatically changed the ship from two lasers and a plate to two mass drivers and a plate.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

I still think LienRag is right.

I guess you should post your save game if you want somebody to have look.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by LienRag »

Maybe they're not in the list if you obsoleted them.
Sometimes this happens (it's a bug) even with deleted designs.

Another thing that may prevent the design to be saved (even in current game) is putting Robotic Interface Shields in a non-robotic ship or some mistake like that (mixing different fighters for example, putting multiple engines,...).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:55 pm Also don't forget the game automatically changed the ship from two lasers and a plate to two mass drivers and a plate.
That is supposed to be impossible.

Though what happens sometimes is that you select a ship in the list and it doesn't change the design in the "template" panel (where the slots are shown).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Problem is probably that there are two designs in the list with the same name (an old bug, already reported AFAICR).

truepurple
Space Kraken

#8 Post by truepurple »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:35 pm Problem is probably that there are two designs in the list with the same name (an old bug, already reported AFAICR).
That would explain why there are two versions that won't save, one with and one without the extra fuel tank. Those two design varients possibly sharing the same name thus messing up both of them from use.

I tried to attach a save to my post but the forum says .sav is a invalid file extension. So I deleted the .sav extension and it still did it, so I replaced .sav with .doc and finally it allowed me to add it. Just rename it to the .sav ext.
Attachments
Progress.doc
(621.53 KiB) Downloaded 113 times