Installation on a computer without admin privileges

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Corbeau
Space Krill

Installation on a computer without admin privileges

#1 Post by Corbeau »

Hello. I'm trying to install FreeOrion on a computer that I use for work (Windows). The problem, as the title says, is that I don't have admin privileges and they are required if the installation is "making changes on the computer". Is there a way to circumvent this? Similar thing happens when I install Freeciv, but for some reason the installation there goes smoothly without admin rights.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Installation on a computer without admin privileges

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Cant really comment on directly running in windows without admin rights part.

If you are really pain resistant and have linux knowledge: maybe freeorion also builds for cygwin(?). It is possible to install cygwin without admin rights as far as I know.
For all other "run-linux-on-windows" variants you probably need some admin rights (virtualisation software to run a virtual machine or the linux subsystem (WSL) in windows 10).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

I suppose it is managed somewhere in https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... ler.nsi.in but I never work with NSIS so not sure what should be changed.

Maybe Vezzra knows it better.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#4 Post by o01eg »

I suppose it should work from .zip archive. It only requires executables and default folder in the same directory.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Corbeau
Space Krill

#5 Post by Corbeau »

o01eg wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:52 pm I suppose it should work from .zip archive. It only requires executables and default folder in the same directory.
Zip archive?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Corbeau wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:32 pm
o01eg wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:52 pm I suppose it should work from .zip archive. It only requires executables and default folder in the same directory.
Zip archive?
I think you can try installing in a Windows machine you own, compress the folder, and uncompress it in the machine you don't own.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You can also download the .exe installer, open it in a program like 7-Zip as if it was a .zip, unzip to a directory on the desktop, and then run FreeOrion.exe from there. No actual installation is required, and it doesn't need to be in any special location to run.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

o01eg wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:46 pmMaybe Vezzra knows it better.
Not really. One thing you can try is installing into a location somewhere in your user home directory (instead into the default programs folder). You don't need local admin rights to write there, so that might work...