How to save the .sav files before re-installing?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Albedo
Space Krill

How to save the .sav files before re-installing?

#1 Post by Albedo »

May have to re-install the game, and want to save my current game file(s) (if possible). Did a standard Search (Windows) for some of the saved game file names (they're simple - 124.sav, etc.), and then for *.sav, first in that folder and then on the entire PC (ouch!), but no joy.

Where are the .sav files hidden?

TIA!
o7

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: How to save the .sav files before re-installing?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

In my Windows 8.1, log files (for reporting errors) are in "\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion", and also there you have "save" folder with save files (and within it there is "auto" folder with autosaves).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: How to save the .sav files before re-installing?

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Albedo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:38 amWhere are the .sav files hidden?
To explain, for safety reasons, programs are actually not allowed to write files into the Windows Program Files folders, and even if it appears to let you, it does something called virtualstore and puts the files somewhere else and pretends they are where intended for a running program. It's preferred to put such files into user profile folders, generally in AppData. I think some folders in that tree are hidden, inconveniently...

The latest master version has a display of the directories it's using, which may include the save files location. The save dialog itself also should give some indication where you're saving to.