Bugs in V0.4.10.1

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Grummel7
Space Dragon

Bugs in V0.4.10.1

#1 Post by Grummel7 »

Here's a list of minor issues I found in V0.4.10.1
  1. Pedia mentions a Decoy Hangar, but there seems to be no way to build it.
  2. Pedia says Computronium Moon add 0.1 research / pop, but it does only 0.05.
  3. Pedia now lists Capacity and Damage for all types of Fighter Hangars, but the Damage values are all wrong.
  4. I am not sure whether that was intended or not: Races that used to start with a certain technology now receive it at the start of turn 2. That does make a difference for Abadoni, because their home planet starts smaller. Pedia never mentioned that Abadoni start with Subterran Habitation, but the flavor text says that they are cave dwellers.
  5. I am pretty sure the "Producible Items" list once had a cost column. Even if I am wrong, it should have one.
  6. Pedia for Arc Disruptor does not say which targets it can fire on.
  7. Planetary Ecology is not affected by race, but Symbiotic Biology is. This means that a tiny planet settled by a race with Bad Population gets tinier when Symbiotic Biology is researched, because the bonus changes from 1.0 to 1.0 x 0.75.
  8. Evacuation does seem to work, but the indications are all wrong. Sometimes the growth predictions show increased values on more than one planet, then in the next round the message says they have settled somewhere, but in reality they have settled somewhere else. Also, there is no settle message when Evacuation System is produced, although it does in fact transfer settlers in the turn that it is built.
  9. Right after being born or after maturing, tame space monsters do not get the speed bonus of Interstellar Logistics.
  10. Scattered Asteroid Hull now requires an Advance Engineering Bay, but Pedia doesn't mention it.
  11. The bonuses from Collective Thought Network are shown as source "Unknown"
  12. In the Obect list, the column "Star Type" alsways lists "Unknown star type"

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Bugs in V0.4.10.1

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Thank you for this list of bugs. Most are relevant and easy to fix.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Grummel7 »

Another one, or even two in one:
SpeciesInterDesign.png
SpeciesInterDesign.png (140.84 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
The Pedia article does not list the threshold(s) and the error message contains an error itself 8)

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Grummel7 »

• Not sure it is a bug, but it sounds like one to me: On an outpost, you cannot build a basic ship yard, but when a basic ship yard exists from an earlier settlement, you can build all ship yard extensions

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Anvil wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm ...
  • Not sure it is a bug, but it sounds like one to me: On an outpost, you cannot build a basic ship yard, but when a basic ship yard exists from an earlier settlement, you can build all ship yard extensions
No, that's by design. I discovered it many iterations before and asked about it then.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10139

Edit: I guess from rereading Mat's comments it's more, "yeah, we know about it but haven't worried about it."

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

Grummel7 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:16 pm [*]I am pretty sure the "Producible Items" list once had a cost column. Even if I am wrong, it should have one.
Indeed there was one, now you have to hover over the item to get the exact cost.
And indeed a cost column is useful and should be there.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by Daybreak »

Another problem

This appeared in this version, 4.10 but leads me to make a couple of suggestions.

In the Objects screen there is a filter popup screen. I like to move the filter screen down towards the filter button. I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but after moving the filter screen, ay some time while playing the filter screen suddenly becomes very small, about 1cm width and 2cm height.

As the filter screen does not have the bottom right hand resize ability, then you can not make it large again, so basically useless (at the bottom a very very small section of the Done button is there which allows you to close it). The new size will survive a closing of the filter button, a closing of the object screen, a clsoing of the game, and a reboot, as it is saved as part of the game. Only a reboot and a new game will reset the filter screen to its correct size and oriignal position. I don't move it anymore!

But that lead me to other similar problems
a) The ship selection screen will sometimes lose the position and size that I have set. There is no lock on that screen
b) Not experienced in 4.10, but in crashes of 4.9, my whole scren layout will lose it's positioning and sizes (even when locked), meaning I have to set up the layout all again.

Suggestions
1. To fix or alleviate the filter screen it is a simple matter to just make the screen resizable.
2. However what I would like to see is a more robust saving of layout, say a file that keeps that information even if the game or your PC crashes.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

Daybreak wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:50 am
As the filter screen does not have the bottom right hand resize ability, then you can not make it large again, so basically useless (at the bottom a very very small section of the Done button is there which allows you to close it). The new size will survive a closing of the filter button, a closing of the object screen, a clsoing of the game, and a reboot, as it is saved as part of the game. Only a reboot and a new game will reset the filter screen to its correct size and oriignal position. I don't move it anymore!
Yes, I mentioned it a few months ago.
I don't know if it's hard to solve, but at least giving it a bottom right hand resize ability would allow to correct it when the bug appears.