Combat resolution

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tonnoman
Space Krill

Combat resolution

#1 Post by Tonnoman »

So ive recently gotten into the game again, and i just realized i've got no idea how the combat resolution system works. Ive checked the pedia, the in-game one as well as the online one, and couldnt find an answer. This question came up after i realized a ship with three atack can destroy a ship with 5 hp in one turn. None of this really makes sense to me, so i'm hoping to get an explaination.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Combat resolution

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The in-game combat report should explain what happens in combat in fairly good detail...
Combat Report.png
Combat Report.png (225.56 KiB) Viewed 5302 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Combat resolution

#3 Post by defaultuser »

There are three combat rounds per turn. Most ships participate in all three rounds, although some things with fighters and stealth are different, as I recall. So a regular ship versus ship would have your example one doing up to 9 damage absent shields. So a ship with 5 structure would be destroyed after the second combat round.