Can't Design Ships

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

labgnome
Juggernaut

Can't Design Ships

#1 Post by labgnome »

So this just happened, I've payed with this version fine before but now it won't let me design ships. I'm playing with v0.4.10 [build 2020-05-26.d034b5d]. It was originally hidden in the top-left hand corner. It won't let me resize it. Something similar happens with the production window but I can resize.
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (328.19 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Can't Design Ships

#2 Post by Oberlus »

labgnome
Juggernaut

#3 Post by labgnome »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:49 pm Workaround here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2997
Where do I find the config.xml file?
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

As you're supposed to edit your config.xml, I think the OP is asking where that file is to be found.

It will vary a bit. On my Win 10 machine, it's C:\Users\[MYUSERID]\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion. [MYUSERID] is my specific one, yours will be different. If you're on Mac, someone else will need to help.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:04 am As you're supposed to edit your config.xml, I think the OP is asking where that file is to be found.

It will vary a bit. On my Win 10 machine, it's C:\Users\[MYUSERID]\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion. [MYUSERID] is my specific one, yours will be different. If you're on Mac, someone else will need to help.
https://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Config.xml wrote:Configuration files, such as config.xml and persistent_config.xml are stored in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/freeorion which defaults to:

~/.config/freeorion

Application data, such as FreeOrion log files and saved games, are stored in $XDG_DATA_HOME/freeorion which defaults to:

~/.local/share/freeorion

These folders may be hidden (due to the . at the start of its name) and may not appear on all directory listings. Make sure to list hidden folders when searching for them.

On Windows Vista or later:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion

It may be necessary to show hidden files and folders to find this directory.

On Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\FreeOrion

It may be necessary to show hidden files and folders to find this directory.

On MacOSX:

/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion/

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Another workaround, that seems to work for me, is to just resize the FreeOrion window. Normally that will automatically rearrange all the in-game GUI windows to their default positions for the new game window size, as long as the Options / UI / Automatically Reposition Windows setting is enabled.