Whole Galaxy Suddenly Appears Without Scan

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

NeerDon
Space Krill

Whole Galaxy Suddenly Appears Without Scan

#1 Post by NeerDon »

Bug? (version 0.4.9)

In two games now, around turn 15 or so, I have had the entire galaxy appear and am able to see all planets, objects ships etc.. of the entire map.
I've only played about 5 games, this didn't happen in the first 3, but happened in the last two games in a row - not sure if this is relevant?

This is of course ruining the immersive gameplay of exploration, detection, scanning, etc..

Is there a known cause for this? ... any fix?

swaq
Space Dragon

Re: Whole Galaxy Suddenly Appears Without Scan

#2 Post by swaq »

Did you happen to convert a colony to Super-Testers?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did you build the Super Tester Takeover?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

This is a duplicate of another thread

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11662

Similar answer in that one. Probably should be merged or this one deleted.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm This is a duplicate of another thread
Thanks. Done.

NeerDon
Space Krill

#6 Post by NeerDon »

swaq wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:01 am Did you happen to convert a colony to Super-Testers?
Oh, cr*p, yeah, I did. That makes sense. (Thanks to those that asked this question!)

I didn't "convert" a race... but... sometimes, I send an outpost ship and establish one on the planet... but then, I am not given a choice to build a colony of any of my available races... even though it's totally "good" or "adequate" for the species... so, to get past the glitch... I can use a SuperTester takeover to establish the colony.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together that the omniscient Supertesters would expose the whole map to me. Darn.

Okay, so, I guess the question is... is it known how to overcome when a species I have is not given an option to build a colony at what should be a habitable outpost?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

The outpost has to be on supply with the species you want to use to colonize (other than exobots). Plus the target species has to have a planet with population of sufficient size and happiness. If you have an example where you can't figure out the reason, post it and people can let you know the problem.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

NeerDon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 am Okay, so, I guess the question is... is it known how to overcome when a species I have is not given an option to build a colony at what should be a habitable outpost?
This is probably not a glitch or challenge. I think you just do not know how colonisation using buildings work yet.

For colony buildings you need a supply connection to a planet with wanted population at least three with a minimum happiness of five (there is a sitrep which informs you if a planet starts to being able to colonize other planets).

On a more general note:
If you cant build a building you can always enable unavailable buildings in the production choice menu and hover with the mouse over the building you want to build to get an explanation why this building is considered unavailable at this location.
So if you still think that you are not given a legal option to build a colony building, please get that explanation and post a screenshot of it.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

NeerDon
Space Krill

#9 Post by NeerDon »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:24 am
NeerDon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 am Okay, so, I guess the question is... is it known how to overcome when a species I have is not given an option to build a colony at what should be a habitable outpost?
This is probably not a glitch or challenge. I think you just do not know how colonisation using buildings work yet.

For colony buildings you need a supply connection to a planet with wanted population at least three with a minimum happiness of five (there is a sitrep which informs you if a planet starts to being able to colonize other planets).

On a more general note:
If you cant build a building you can always enable unavailable buildings in the production choice menu and hover with the mouse over the building you want to build to get an explanation why this building is considered unavailable at this location.
So if you still think that you are not given a legal option to build a colony building, please get that explanation and post a screenshot of it.
Thank you for this help and to all others with similar input.

My original post was solved with the Super Testers being the issue. I am on a play-through now where I turned off that option at the beginning set-up. =)

The second issue of not being able to build colonies is also now solved as I better understand the mechanics of species population and happiness. :idea: :D