Bug: My capital planet system became invisible

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Constantin
Space Krill

Bug: My capital planet system became invisible

#1 Post by Constantin »

I play on Ubuntu Linux, version 18.04. I use the latest game version, 0.4.8.
I played quite a lot, and this is the first time this bug happens.
I attached a zip with my turns 53, 54, 55, 56.
At turn 53 things look normal, but by the turn 56 this bug is present. Also completely reproducible. I started from turn 53 a few more times, I repeated my steps and I got the same bug.

So, there's this race that populates gas giants, "Sly", and they have this very high stealth for their planets.
They conquered one of my planets, I tried to conquer it back, but it was invisible to my ships. Then I retreated home, as my capital was coming under attack by someone else, and now my own capital system is sort of invisible. Even if I build a scout ship there, it doesn't fix anything.
Quite annoying.
Attachments
FreeOrion_Constantin_Terran_005.zip
(4.99 MiB) Downloaded 151 times

swaq
Space Dragon

Re: Bug: My capital planet system became invisible

#2 Post by swaq »

I couldn't get the save files to load (version incompatibility?). But have you researched detection improving techs? If an enemy is too stealthy (Sly has a stealth boost) you can't interact with planets they own.

Constantin
Space Krill

#3 Post by Constantin »

Those save files work fine for me, I can load them, but I'm on Linux.
I can only save in binary files for some reason. Probably another bug. If I disable the "Create Binary Save Files" option, the save files get corrupted, and the game crashes when it sees them.

I'm attaching screenshots from turn 56 and 58.
I have a fleet around my capital planet, in turn 58 I even have a Scout ship, but I don't have visibility over the planet, although I own it. I can build stuff on it, it repairs my ships, but it's disconnected from the supply network and I can't see the system, or around it.
Also, if I look at the buildings on my capital planet, the tooltip says "Stealth: 45.0", while my buildings on my other planets have stealth 5.
Basically my home planet copied the stealth setting from the "Sly" race.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-09-24 16-59-52.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-24 16-59-52.png (2.38 MiB) Viewed 9349 times
Screenshot from 2019-09-24 16-51-35.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-24 16-51-35.png (2.32 MiB) Viewed 9349 times

alleryn
Space Dragon

#4 Post by alleryn »

That large purple cloud in the background is an ion storm. From the pedia: "Magnetic vortex of relativistic charged particles that can interfere with sensors and obscures all objects within it. All objects inside the storm receive an increase to Stealth of 40, but a decrease to Detection Range of 40."

It appears (i'm judging from the screenshots, haven't attempted the savefiles) that your planet wasn't conquered at all, nor is it invisible to you. What happened is it got blockaded by an enemy fleet, which is now invisible due to the ion storm. This prevents your planet from being in supply (at least i think this is correct -- the whole blockade/supply/stealth mechanics are a bit complicated).

Hope that helps!

Constantin
Space Krill

#5 Post by Constantin »

Your explanation makes sense. I didn't know the stuff in the background has any effect.
It's the first time I see such an effect. Later in game, when detection tech is better, this shouldn't matter.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#6 Post by alleryn »

Constantin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:56 pm Later in game, when detection tech is better, this shouldn't matter.
Ion storms become "irrelevant" as far as i know once all players have researched the second detection tech (Neutron Scanner).

Edit:
Constantin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:56 pm I didn't know the stuff in the background has any effect.
By the way, you can right click the background objects to find a pedia link, or use Objects window --> Filters button and toggle "Fields" to see some info also.

Constantin
Space Krill

#7 Post by Constantin »

Thank you for your explanation.
I think this bug is solved, by proving it's actually a feature :)

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

alleryn wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:58 pm
Constantin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:56 pm Later in game, when detection tech is better, this shouldn't matter.
Ion storms become "irrelevant" as far as i know once all players have researched the second detection tech (Neutron Scanner).
Not so at all. With species having high stealth, you will still have problems with those. Even if you have Omni-scanner, an Ion Storm over the Experimenters planet will cause you problems.

Edit: I once asked if a Space Cloud were to get into the Experimenters system and establish Cloud Cover whether the planet would be permanently stealthed. I'm not sure I received an answer.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

Conveniently, here is an example from my current game. Laenfa world with Cloud Cover, invisible to Neutron Scanner:

FO4.jpg
FO4.jpg (241.14 KiB) Viewed 9277 times

alleryn
Space Dragon

#10 Post by alleryn »

defaultuser wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:54 pm
alleryn wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:58 pm
Not so at all. With species having high stealth, you will still have problems with those.
Oh right, thanks for the correction.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#11 Post by defaultuser »

Of course, my "example" showed the same effect for Cloud Cover as you'd see for Ion Storm. Don't want to confuse anyone.