Slightly outdated Linux

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Corbeau
Space Krill

Slightly outdated Linux

#1 Post by Corbeau »

Hello. I'm new one here and, of course, I have a problem.

I have a bit oldish Linux Mint (17 32-bit) and when trying to use Snap, I get this:

Code: Select all

error: system does not fully support snapd: you need to reboot into a 4.4
       kernel to start using snapd
Yes, the best thing to do would be to upgrade the system. I know. Apart from that, does anyone know of a shortcut that could help me run the game?

One stupid idea: has anyone ever tried to run a Windows version on Linux using Wine?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Slightly outdated Linux

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I use Ubuntu 16.04 and compile from source (although the snaps also work for me, and I guess o01eg's ppa too).
Never used Mint, I assume you can't use Ubuntu PPAs, but have you tried compiling from source? Less burden than updating the system I guess.

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Slightly outdated Linux

#3 Post by o01eg »

Corbeau wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:40 am Hello. I'm new one here and, of course, I have a problem.

I have a bit oldish Linux Mint (17 32-bit) and when trying to use Snap, I get this:

Code: Select all

error: system does not fully support snapd: you need to reboot into a 4.4
       kernel to start using snapd
Yes, the best thing to do would be to upgrade the system. I know. Apart from that, does anyone know of a shortcut that could help me run the game?

One stupid idea: has anyone ever tried to run a Windows version on Linux using Wine?
Minimum supported boost version is 1.58 which provided by Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial and Mint 18.

Moreover there is a plan for python3 migration which requires Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic and Mint 19.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm