Bad Invasion or Combat bug in last several FO builds

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Heracliton
Space Floater

Bad Invasion or Combat bug in last several FO builds

#1 Post by Heracliton »

After a long hiatus I downloaded FO_2019-06-11.470d071 for W7 and found that invasion of defended planets is borked. My normal practice is to build fast cheap troopships using Flux and, later, the basic organic hulls; normally I send them once the defenses have been taken down to avod losses.

This no longer works because, after the initial turn's combat, on all subsequent turns the planet(s) start to rebuild defenses and shields with no reactionby the player's fleet(s). Troopships have to arrive with the initial attack fleet, risking losses.

Downloaded several earlier versions for brief testing, same issue. Most recent version FO_2019-06-16.ecb7a95 same issue.

Win 7 Pro 64. Intel i-3770K with 16GB Corsair 2330 MHz Vengeance Red; both @ stock speed. 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, Samsung Magician running on system SSD (C).

I cannot upload to Github - the registration Captcha does not work on Waterfox nor on today's install of Firefox 67.0.4; no images to verify and the audio is very poor quality rattling semi-inaudible characters. Bloody Google...

So I have a zip file (1.18MB) - "Invasion or combar bug,zip" (sic) - I cannot upload to Github. Trying to attach it to this post.

Security info:
SHA1: 98D551F72C55838292A19FC9FF5298832C5A3D97
SHA256: 438FF8671DDDDA6D9DB2447915E3C9B729170B8E369A73378E7418E24239C691

There are AV scans of the zip file on VirusTotal and Jotti:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file-ana ... /detection

https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB/files ... eauj23ryhu

Regards

Heracliton
Attachments
Invasion or combar bug.zip
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 224 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Bad Invasion or Combat bug in last several FO builds

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Hi Heracliton

Most likely your problem is about planetary defence regeneration:
After the first combat in the system you plan to invade, if you got enough fire power, the planetary defences and shields are knocked down and you can invade. If the planet has defence regeneration, on the following turns another combat will trigger and the shields will keep at zero and so the invasion will be possible anytime. However, if the planet does not have defence regeneration, on the following turn there will be no planetary defences, combat will not trigger, and the planet will regenerate 1 point of shield, stopping your planned invasion. Then, after that turn without combat, the planet will have some defence, trigger combat and enable invasion for the third turn. You just have to not miss the turns in which invasion is possible.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Note that is a known regression which happened when the meter growth was migrated from c++ to FOCS.
I think there should be an open issue (?)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36 pm I think there should be an open issue (?)
Couldn't find any.
I found the PR: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1941
It seems I can't find any forum thread or github issue about planetary shields regeneration or invasion. Although I think this was talked about somewhere (and that's why I know about this problem).
Maybe we should open one?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 am Maybe we should open one?
Would you please? Would be great.

We should also tag all timing-related issues or make a super-issue for that. Because its easy to break something there when fixing one of those issues. So its probably better to do it right from the beginning (for which you need to be aware of all the issues).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

I've opened and issue on github for this particular problem (planet invasion): https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2488
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 am We should also tag all timing-related issues or make a super-issue for that. Because its easy to break something there when fixing one of those issues. So its probably better to do it right from the beginning (for which you need to be aware of all the issues).
Not sure what should I do regardless this.