Diplomacy? Espionage? Trade?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

xahodo
Space Floater

Diplomacy? Espionage? Trade?

#1 Post by xahodo »

Hello,

I have researched everything there was to research in the tech tree, but there doesn't seem to be any option for diplomacy, espionage/sabotage or trade.

Have I missed anything that actually does any of these?

NOTE: I am completely new to freeorion. If I posted this in the wrong subforum, I'm sorry.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Diplomacy? Espionage? Trade?

#2 Post by em3 »

Short version: it is planned, but nothing has been added so far.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Yep. Definitely on the roadmap, but not yet implemented (or even designed).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

xahodo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pmNOTE: I am completely new to freeorion. If I posted this in the wrong subforum, I'm sorry.
You are? According to your "join date", you registered your forum account 7 years ago... ;) :mrgreen:

gendalf
Space Floater

#5 Post by gendalf »

Diplomacy is lackluster. Also it stays in 'proposal state' option you've selected, without any effect. You have to cancel and resend proposal for the AI to accept/deny and there's no indication of their attitude to you or what you can do to improve it unlike in EU4.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

gendalf wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm Diplomacy is lackluster.
It would be more correct to say diplomacy is only very rudimentary implemented yet. Only some very basic stuff is possible at all, of course it's lackluster. And it will be for quite a while until we get around to really flesh out this part of the game. First the game mechanics and elements diplomacy can build upon are sufficiently in place can we start working on that.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#7 Post by drkosy »

About espionage: Is it already possible to steal technology by invading planets?
Once I "invented" laser 2 but didn't remember set it on the list but on the turn before I invaded an enemies planet.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:43 pm About espionage: Is it already possible to steal technology by invading planets?
Once I "invented" laser 2 but didn't remember set it on the list but on the turn before I invaded an enemies planet.
No tech stealing (yet). It can be that you inadvertently advanced a few turns with surplus research points that end up in that laser 2 tech (automatic allocation of surplus RP to the cheapest unresearched tech).

drkosy
Space Dragon

#9 Post by drkosy »

It can be that you inadvertently advanced a few turns with surplus research points that end up in that laser 2 tech
That sounds possible. Could be that I didn't recognized the red ! at science. :oops:
Thank's for your support :)
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

The only one I'm aware of is Lembala'Lam, where you pick up some planetary stealth research.

tabbydan
Space Floater

#11 Post by tabbydan »

I'd think this should be fairly easy to implement with human players, and more difficult to implement with AI players (because you'd need to code heuristics for deciding what to do). So far, I don't actually see where the options are (I haven't stumbled across the UI features that enable me to ask anyone for anything).

With the human players, one might be able to relatively easily code a few options:
-Diplomacy
-An option before the game is started could make diplomatic treaties binding or non-binding. That is if you have a non-aggression pact and treaties are binding you have to formally break the pact before attacking. If treaties are non-binding you can attack while a treaty is in effect (probably the player making the attack would get some confirmation prompt to make sure this is what they wanted to do)
-basic non-aggression pact (no attacking another player's ships or planets), pacts that enable you to send ships into another player's territory (for your mapping or getting somewhere else), alliance pacts where you fight jointly with another player
-demand requests: a player is able to demand any mix of the following; production points, technologies, planets, ships. The other player in question can refuse the demand or negotiate for a smaller amount.
-trade request (one player asks for something in exchange for something else), again the offer may be refused or negotiated

-Economic trade, might be harder to do right because one would need to figure out how a "trade economy" would reasonably link with a "production economy", presumably the amount that a player could offer for trade would be some fraction of their entire production points, and it would benefit both sides equally (maybe if you trade 150, after the trade, both sides get an additional benefit of some fraction of that added to their production points).