buggy tech cost scaling after game restart

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

buggy tech cost scaling after game restart

#1 Post by Jaumito »

FreeOrion v0.4.8_2018-08-23.26f16b0

How to reproduce:

1. start a fresh FreeOrion instance
2. click "Single Player"
3. in the Balance pane, set "Tech Cost Scaling" to, e.g., 8 (4 times the default setting)
4. click "OK" to start the new game
5. add a few tech items to the research queue
6. generate a few turns and check your research progress - you'll notice everything looks OK so far
7. resign the game, DON'T exit FreeOrion
8. create a new game again using the same parameters, Tech Cost Scaling should still be 8
9. add a few tech items to the research queue
10. generate a few turns - you'll now notice that tech costs and research times are quartered: i.e., the game uses the default settings (2) while displaying yours (8)

I haven't checked if the other balance scaling options are affected by this behavior.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: buggy tech cost scaling after game restart

#2 Post by Dilvish »

I think there is already another thread about this, or perhaps an Issue-- I think there had been a bit of progress in diagnosing the cause, but don't recall if it had been considered fixed yet.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

There was an issue which was resolved for loading a saved game and i think it was closed after being fixed in master and release.. if it or a variant of it is still there.. meh
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

OK then it sounds like this is a related but different problem-- Juanito, please open an Issue for this on GIthub.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0