research, progress

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Travbon
Space Krill

research, progress

#1 Post by Travbon »

the change in the points of research is very slow. plus 1. I tried to set the maximum high, the change is the same.

the course is very long. the first two in the area of 5 minutes. further up to 30 minutes. does not save when exiting. saving is every move, you can not save it manually. inactive button.

Version 0.4.8

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: research, progress

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Travbon wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am the change in the points of research is very slow. plus 1. I tried to set the maximum high, the change is the same.
Right, the base rate of change for planetary meters is +/- 1 per turn (except for population, which has a more complex formula). Certain techs can increase the rate of change for certain meters. Meters having a max (like planet defense) will always be capped by that max, so switching from defense focus to something else can cause a big swing, not just -1/turn.
the course is very long. the first two in the area of 5 minutes. further up to 30 minutes.
I don't understand what you are talking about there.

does not save when exiting. saving is every move, you can not save it manually. inactive button.
The game does autosave when exiting, unless you've disabled that or force the game to terminate before the save is complete. The default is once per turn, but you can adjust that in the Options. At the very start of a turn the save button is inactive while the AI's are preparing their orders, which are needed for the save. Late in the game that can take a while, but it will become active again.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Travbon
Space Krill

#3 Post by Travbon »

the time of one stroke is very large.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Travbon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 amthe time of one stroke is very large.
I assume you mean the time to resolve a turn (between hitting "TURN" and being able to play next turn).
What are your computer specs? CPU/processor, RAM/memory, GPU/graphics, operating system...
What are the galaxy settings of your current game? Number of planetary systems, number of AI players...

Travbon
Space Krill

#5 Post by Travbon »

150 stars. 40 opponents. 8 GB of RAM, video 7770 ati. Processor 7750 amd athlon x2

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Travbon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am150 stars. 40 opponents. 8 GB of RAM, video 7770 ati. Processor 7750 amd athlon x2
Then you should curb your expectations. Your CPU is not fast nor has good parallel performance.

Try a game with 150 systems and 6 opponents. 40 opponents means 40 threads of AI processing, that's probably your main bottleneck here.
If turn processing is fine with 6 opponents you can try more, but I recommend finishing a game like that first to see how does it behaves on late game (when turns require much more processing than at the start of a game). If that happens, you can try with less systems (usually 15-25 per player).

Side note: the galaxy generation algorithm has some minimum number of systems per opponent, I think it's 5 (maybe 10), so a game with 40 opponents (plus you) is at least 205 systems.

Travbon
Space Krill

#7 Post by Travbon »

In addition, I want to thank you, the creators of the game, for the wonderful game. very interesting tree of research.

Travbon
Space Krill

#8 Post by Travbon »

is it possible to somehow change the change in research points, and production?those that + 1 / -1.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Travbon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pm is it possible to somehow change the change in research points, and production?those that + 1 / -1.
Try changing the 1's to something else on the "SetResearch" and "SetIndustry" lines in this file: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... macros#L12

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

Travbon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am 150 stars. 40 opponents. 8 GB of RAM, video 7770 ati. Processor 7750 amd athlon x2
40 opponents? Basically just melee then.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:14 pm40 opponents? Basically just melee then.
IIRC, the closest you can have an enemy homeworld is 3 or 4 hops away, even if you set it 40 stars and 40 players.

Travbon
Space Krill

#12 Post by Travbon »

Try changing the 1's to something else on the "SetResearch" and "SetIndustry" lines in this file: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... macros#L12
Fine thanks.
sorry that do not understand in Russian. I am from Russia

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

Travbon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pmis it possible to somehow change the change in research points, and production?those that + 1 / -1.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 pmTry changing the 1's to something else on the "SetResearch" and "SetIndustry" lines in this file: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... macros#L12
Travbon wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:10 amFine thanks. sorry that do not understand in Russian. I am from Russia
Edit this file:
<PATH TO YOUR FREEORION INSTALLATION FOLDER>/default/scripting/species/common/general.macros

Locate these two lines:

Code: Select all

SetResearch value = Value + min(max(Value(Target.TargetResearch) - Value, -1), 1)
                SetIndustry value = Value + min(max(Value(Target.TargetIndustry) - Value, -1), 1)
The two "-1" control the speed of meter decreasing.
The two "1" control the speed of meter increasing.

Try this change (edit the file, save it, restart FreeOrion):

Code: Select all

SetResearch value = Value + min(max(Value(Target.TargetResearch) - Value, -3), 3)
                SetIndustry value = Value + min(max(Value(Target.TargetIndustry) - Value, -3), 3)
You'll get that each planetary meter of Industry or Research will increase (or decrease) by 3 (instead of 1) each turn.

This will make every planet to reach its current maximum value faster, but you won't notice a great speed up of the game pace in general.
If what you want is to be able to get technologies and finish ships faster, there is an option in the GUI that you can adjust before starting a game, to make technologies and items cost more or less points. I'm sorry I can't start FreeOrion in this computer to show you an screenshot, but I think it is easy to fine, in the screen where you configure the galaxy (number of stars, opponents, etc.).

Also, you can change the base production and research you get from population, defined in the file /default/scripting/common/base_prod.macros. Change the INDUSTRY_PER_POP and RESEARCH_PER_POP values for greater ones to get more PPs and RPs from your planets.

Travbon
Space Krill

#14 Post by Travbon »

Благодарю за помощь. Если понадобится помощь в тестировании или ещё какая, обращайтесь.

Thank you for your help. If you need help with testing or something else, please contact.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 pm
defaultuser wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:14 pm40 opponents? Basically just melee then.
IIRC, the closest you can have an enemy homeworld is 3 or 4 hops away, even if you set it 40 stars and 40 players.
I was wrong. The minimum number of systems per player is 3, but the algorithm may fail to spread out the homeworlds. See attachment (galaxy setting was systems 10 and players 10). So yes, melee!
Attachments
Melee.png
Melee.png (582.09 KiB) Viewed 9208 times