Anyone able to compile on latest Ubuntu (13.X)?

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Anyone able to compile on latest Ubuntu (13.X)?

#16 Post by adrian_broher »

About the symlinks to the plugins:

The currently by OGRE provided FindOGRE.cmake (which we have a copy of in the GG/cmake directory) doesn't respect the fact that the OGRE packages under Ubuntu place the plugins under /usr/lib/${multiarch dir}/OGRE-${OGRE version}. The multiarch dir is handled properly by the CMake installation, the FindOGRE.cmake fails with the OGRE-${OGRE version}. The attached patch fixes that.

Rydra: could you please test if the build works for you if you apply the patch by changing into the project root (where the changelog.txt is located), applying the patch by executing `patch -p0 -i ../search-in-OGRE-version-lib-subdir.patch', removing the symlinks to the OGRE plugins, removing the CMakeCache.txt and reconfigure the project by running `cmake . && make`?

Also has anyone contact to the OGRE upstream? Would be nice if the patch could be put there to keep the maintenance burden for us small.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#17 Post by Dilvish »

Rydra wrote:From what I have experienced, without those symlinks I couldn't either finish the compiling or execute the game.

Edit: ok, maybe bullet step can be skipped as I have tested it again and compiles equally. But those boost modifications are still necessary.
I compile on Ubuntu (currently 13.04) and though I did manually upgrade to boost 1.5.1 a while back I have never had to actually make any changes to boost. Boost 1.5.3 is available via ubuntu raring/universe (which is normally an enabled repository by default); have you tried upgrading to boost 1.5.3 instead of modifying boost?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Rydra
Space Squid

#18 Post by Rydra »

Dilvish wrote:
Rydra wrote:From what I have experienced, without those symlinks I couldn't either finish the compiling or execute the game.

Edit: ok, maybe bullet step can be skipped as I have tested it again and compiles equally. But those boost modifications are still necessary.
I compile on Ubuntu (currently 13.04) and though I did manually upgrade to boost 1.5.1 a while back I have never had to actually make any changes to boost. Boost 1.5.3 is available via ubuntu raring/universe (which is normally an enabled repository by default); have you tried upgrading to boost 1.5.3 instead of modifying boost?

Some days ago I already tried to uninstall 1.49 and install 1.53... but cmake didn't detect it...

@adrian_broher I'll test what do you suggest whenever I have a break. Thank you so much

Edit: Tried to install libboost1.53 once again from package manager. However, now detects an unknown libboost version 1.47 (which I can't locate to remove :S) and can't install libogre-dev as its dependencies are from libboost1.49. Any idea to install ogre from any package without having to compile it myself?

Edit2: I changed CMakeLists.txt to detect boost versions greater than 1.49... now doesn't detect anything U_U (previously it could detect 1.49)

Rydra
Space Squid

#19 Post by Rydra »

Ok guys, I formatted my Ubuntu and now I have:

1- libboost 1.53 recognized by cmake
2- libogre1.8.0-dev. I had to ignore its dependencies in order to install, yet it seems it works.
3- everything else

I'm compiling without absolutely modifying any header nor doing Symlinks to Plugins (keeping symlinks to libbullet though). I'll update this post once compiling finishes.

Edit: Amazing, with libboost 1.53 everything compiled smoothly without any additional trick, and by applying adrian's patch, no OGRE symlinks were required (though I haven't tested yet without bullet symlinks)

Thank goodness.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#20 Post by Dilvish »

The OGRE patch worked great for me as well & is now committed (r6230)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0