recent bloated executables **edit -nm

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

recent bloated executables **edit -nm

#1 Post by Dilvish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:08 pm

**edit** ok well it looks like perhaps the trouble had been related to an earlier Debug build not getting fully cleared out; after clearing out all cmakecache files and similar files, and rerunning cmake and make, I now again get the same slim executables I used to. I thought I had already done this once, but apparently not, or else there is just something else perplexing going on that I haven't figured out. I guess I'll leave this post here, but it's pretty much a 'never mind'

I've been trying to track down a crash, and have also noticed that the game is running more slowly for me the last day or so, and takes tremendously longer to load into my my profiler/memory-checker (valgrind). I just checked and saw that with the current build process, my 3 executables wind up being in the 185MB - 195MB range, whereas at least back at [5950] and earlier, they were just in the 26MB - 30MB range. So this change in executable size happens somewhere between [5950] and [5975]. It's hard not to suspect that whatever change is bloating the executable is also slowing it down. I've tried doing a clean compile and double checking that I've got the same build parameters (Release build, not Debug build, etc). It's a bit slow to do a full reconfigure and recompile for each version being tested, I guess I'll look for the revs where I can notice changes to the CMake files or any other aspect of build structure. Any tips on things for me to check would be appreciated.
Last edited by Dilvish on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12496
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: recent bloated executables

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 pm

There have been a lot of changes to the CMakeLists.txt files recently, so it's quite plausible that something's had an unexpected side effect. Looking at those revisions would probably be a good idea. Binary searching might also help, rather than going in order, since you've got a known range where it starts happening.

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: recent bloated executables **edit -nm

#3 Post by Dilvish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Ya, actually though, it looks like perhaps I hadn't fully cleaned out a previous DEBUG build, and remnants of it were what caused the bloat (at least, that's my best guess). I've edited my first post to note this.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Post Reply