Problem compiling with Visual C++ Express 2008

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

Problem compiling with Visual C++ Express 2008

#1 Post by PL_Andrev »

I want to complile FO (rev 3795) with Visual C++ Express 2008.
The problem is that in FO svn directory is many files to open...

I tried to open \Free Orion\trunk\FreeOrion\msvc2008\FreeOrion\FreeOrion.sln

But many errors are generated during compilation...
Compiling...
ClientApp.cpp
e:\Free Orion\trunk\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Enum.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory
ClientFSMEvents.cpp
e:\Free Orion\trunk\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Enum.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory
HumanClientApp.cpp
..\..\..\client\human\HumanClientApp.cpp(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'GL/glew.h': No such file or directory
HumanClientFSM.cpp
What do I do wrong?

EmP
Space Floater

Re: Problem compiling with Visual C++ Express 2008

#2 Post by EmP »

Look like you don't have Boost and glew.h. They are not part of FO source so you have to get them separately. I don't know where to get glew.h (.h file itself is not problem but I don't know from what library it is). Boost can be downloaded at http://www.boost.org/, though I'm not sure which version works with FO. Geoff could answer with more info.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Problem compiling with Visual C++ Express 2008

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did you download the FreeOrion Win32 SDK from sourceforge, or just check out the source alone? The SDK has the various required dependencies, such as boost, in the locations expected by the solution file you opened. You can also locate or compile all the dependencies yourself, but this is not really necessary unless you're having a problem with one of the precompiled ones in the SDK.

The solution file you opened should have had GiGi projects in it as well. Did they build successfully before the errors you quoted, or did you just build the freeorion project? You need to build the whole solution, so that the GiGi libraries get built first, as these are needed to build FreeOrion itself.

glew is, I believe, the (Open) GL Extention Wrangler, a library used on Windows for OpenGL coding.