compiling MSVC 8.0 / SVN

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

Re: compiling MSVC 8.0 / SVN

#16 Post by tzlaine »

Trilarion wrote:What about using mingw and an IDE like CodeBlocks? This could be a complete open-source compilation solution for windows. Should I try and set this up or will the gnu compiler have problems with the libraries in the SDK?
MinGW and Gygwin has persistent problems when used for OpenGL-based applications. The last time I tried a MinGW build, everything built and linked fine, but looked completely messed up, fwiw.

loonycyborg
Compilation Expert

#17 Post by loonycyborg »

Hm.. I use MinGW to build silvertree on windows and I've never had any GL-related problems.
In Soviet Russia, forum posts YOU!!

Trilarion
Krill Swarm

#18 Post by Trilarion »

So, compiling with MSVC 2008 Express is going fine, however the (usual) problem with inconsistent line endings (unix/windows) occured. The MSVC IDE always bothered me with a windows and wanted to do something about it, but I clicked it away, since it did not tell me, what it was going to do. Then updating the svn failed because of the inconsistent line endings. So I added this http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt to the svn config file and went back to a clean checkout of the svn. Hope this helps with the line endings in the future.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Trilarion wrote:the (usual) problem with inconsistent line endings (unix/windows) occured.
Could you be more specific? Did you get inconsistent line endings in the files you checked out, or only after editing them with MSVC? Whenever I open an inconsistent file in MSVC, it tells me that the line endings are inconsistent and asks if I want to fix it, and to which format. There is a setting in the options to use one format or the other, which usually works, but occasionally decides to revert back to windows-style endings for no apparent reason for a few lines in a file. But in those cases, I can easily fix it by closing and opening the file in MSVC and resaving with fixed line endings.

Trilarion
Krill Swarm

#20 Post by Trilarion »

only after editing them with MSVC and not using the "do you want to fix inconsistent line endings" option of MSVC. I had the hope that the svn client can automatically fix them - this should be a common problem many repositories in the world should suffer where unix and windows projects are stored. Now I will either use the MSVC fix it option or see if the SVN client can do it.