Cannot uninstall

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

derAua
Space Krill

Cannot uninstall

#1 Post by derAua »

I don't know if this belongs here. I am completely new to linux.

Using ubuntu 7.10. I downloaded freeorion the statically linked version and used install.ch to install it. I installed it over the same directory my installation copy was in. Now I get the only graphic "missing file" and if I use setup.ch again it tells me to uninstall it first before reinstalling it. The uninstall file does not work. I don't get any error message, it simply does not react to double clicking and the console.

PS.: Where can I get a short introduction in installing stuff in linux? I don't get the librarys and all this, just a hint to a page would be appreaciated.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Cannot uninstall

#2 Post by pd »

derAua wrote:Where can I get a short introduction in installing stuff in linux? I don't get the librarys and all this, just a hint to a page would be appreaciated.
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile
and
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/User ... utsyGibbon

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Tortanick »

I had similar problems when I started using Linux, just takes some getting used to.

Anyway, try downloading again into a fresh folder and using autorun.sh instead of setup.sh, that should run it without the need to install.

kroddn
Static Linker

#4 Post by kroddn »

This statically version can be uninstalled using the "uninstall" Skript inside the installation directory. I tested that every time I release a new installer, and did not encounter problems.

For example, if the game is installed in /usr/local/games/freeorion you have to run /usr/local/games/freeorion/uninstall . One thing is important: if you installed as root, then you have to run uninstall as root too.

Could you post the error message you get?

Tortanick is right: you don't have to install the game, you also can extract it where you want. But then you will not have menu-entries :-)

kroddn
Static Linker

#5 Post by kroddn »

This problem is fixed in later versions.

Explaination: I forgot to deliver the "uninstall" program with my installer. So the uninstall worked for systems, which had "loki-installed" software before, because then the installer copied this uninstall to the harddisk.

You can fix the "broken" installation by removing the gamedir and $HOME/.loki or /root/.loki and then reinstall the game.

Quick-Fix (for both variants):

Code: Select all

rm -rf /root/.loki
rm -rf $HOME/.loki
rm -rf /usr/local/games/freeorion
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/freeorion*
rm -rf $HOME/freeorion*